ADGA

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Feb 1, 2009.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    You don't have to be an ADGA member to show your goats, do you?

If not, you still have to have your goats reg. with ADGA,it's just more expensive as a non-member right?

I just wondered, because I will be registering any doelings my doe has,and her if possible,and would like to show, but not sure if it would be cheaper to just pay a little extra as a non-member to register them, than paying for a membership and herd name. I'd like to have my own herd name, but I graduate in 2010 so not sure what I'll do after that,and not sure what's the best thing to do. :? What are the benefits?

If I don't become a member, than what herd name would the kids be under?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You are way better off to pay the membership fee and register the herd name - I think it comes to $51.00. You will save your self so much money.

I am not sure about having to be a member to show - but I bet they would give a discount if you were!

And you want those cute lil ones to have your herd name so that everyone knows where they came from!

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can save money and get a youth membership, its almost half of the regular membership.

If you aren't a member, then your kids will be registered with the herd name "The" I'm not sure if you have to be an ADGA member to show but your goats do have to be registered with the ADGA in order for them to be shown.

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    The goats have to be registered with ADGA to be shown.

The cost of a non member registering kids is. $16.00-$17.00
    The cost of a member registering the kids is. $9.50-$10.50

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I'll probably just become a member then. Can ADGA send me a form to fill out to purchase a membership and herdname,and a reg. application? Do you just send in money with it, or are you susposed to use a credit card?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You can actually do the whole thing online - including paying your membership if you would like. OR you can submit online and send your money in - or you can print off the forms and mail in with payment.

Make sure and apply for a pin - that way you can do your registrations online later if you choose to.

7. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    That's neat. Only thing is my mom won't let me use her credit card to do it online,so I guess I'll have to print it out.. if the printer will work lol

How long should it take to get papers back? My doe is due to kid in April,and it'd be nice to try and have her reg. before then, if she's registerable

Ok,will have to do that :)

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I did mine online and with processing and getting the papers back it only took about 8 days total.

Now, I haven't registered anyone yet - I received my NOA papers from Ashley (thanks SOOOO much!!) and my papers on my buck - so now I have to turn those three in.... hopefully next week!

9. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah,I wanted to try to get my doe reg. NOA but I'm not sure if she's eligible

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like was said youre better off registering with adga. The herdname is a one time fee of fifteen dollars and it is yours forever. You dont have to be registered to show, but the rates are cheaper to register.
    You should be able to register your doe as native on apearance, and then you register her kids as grades.
    beth

11. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Can any doe be registered as NOA? I'm just not sure if she could be because of her ears, there are pics of her on the goatshow, in intermediate kid RG, if you want to look. She was bred to a reg. Alpine, so the kids will be 50%

12. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Would I have to tattoo her,and if so what letters/numbers would I use? Can my vet do this? Would RAC work as a registered tattoo? Then, any kids born would be RAC 1, RAC 2, etc?

13. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    You would pick 3 different tattoos that you want with RAC being your first choice and send it to ADGA to be registered to you. If it isn't taken they will send you a certificate back stating that RAC is your registered tattoo. You can't add numbers to the end of it. The tattoo has to be exactly what ADGA registered to you. You tattoo both ears and the RAC would go in the right ear and for the left ear you would use the year letter ( 2009's letter is Z ) and the number in which your goat was born. Like if you had kids born this year you would use RAC in the right ear and could use Z1, Z2, Z3 and so on for the left ears.
    I'm not sure if vets tattoo or not. I do all of mine myself so I've never asked a vet.

14. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,more questions. :) I just got all my papers printed out today, except I forget a signature form. It says I have to have it to get my PIN? anyway:

Alot of the papers have ADGA ID # on it- should I just leave those blank, and they will fill them in?

Do I have to pay for my PIN number?

For breeds, can you update, if say in a few months I buy a goat of a different breed?

For my grade doe, could someone look at pics at her, and then, if I sent them it through mail, sign my form, to get her reg.? If so would anyone be willing to help, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Yay,I'm so excited to get started on this. lol :greengrin: So far I have member app, herd name app, PIN number app, and a reg. app. Do I need anything else? My doe is due in April so is there anything else I'll need?

15. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    If you're sending in all your paperwork with the member app then you can leave everything blank where it asks for your member ID. Your pin number is free and they'll mail that to you. If you need to update any information later on all you have to do is give them a call. They're very nice. If you renew your membership online then it will allow you to update all your info online while renewing. If you need it updated before it's time to renew then just give them a call. They're working on getting more things working online so you don't have to call them but for now that's our only option for some things.
    Did you print the paper to register your tattoo? If not then they will issue you a tattoo of their choice when you register your herdname. You need the tattoo app to go in with the herd name app to pick your own tattoo. If I think of anything else I'll add it on. :)

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Aha! Thank you Crystal, I registered for a herd name today. I finally found something that my mom liked (with Goathappy's help), and after I sent it in I was beginning to wonder about tattoos :doh:
    So thankyou for clearing that bit up.

17. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I would like to ask a question on the NOA stuff how does that work and is there someplace I could read up on it.

Mindy

18. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    LOL You're welcome Amos :) If you didn't pick a tattoo then they will choose one for you. Once you get the notice telling you what they registered as your tattoo, you have 30 days I think it is to pick one of your own and change it if you don't like what they picked. So if you forgot to pick one at least you have another shot at picking what you like.
    I forgot to pick one but the one they chose for me was actually a good one so I kept it LOL. My sons picked their own though when they registered their herd names.

19. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio

yeah, me to

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ashley and Mindy, I would PM Kelebek, she knows all about it as she just did it with two of her Nubians.

Yes I actually did forget Crystal; I guess I'm not too picky about what they choose for me, as long as I have all the tattoos. I was thinking abouut getting a tattooing pen like you talked about, but I seem to be spending too much on goats lately, so I'll have to let it slide and stick with my pliers punchy thing.