Adjusting Times for Winter

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Lexibot, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I'd like to know something. It's got me a little concerned.

Right now, I am milking Grace in the 7th hour of the mornings 5th hour of the evenings... when winter hits though, what times should I do? By 4:30pm in November/December it's already dark, and I don't plan on trucking through the yard to grab her. Should I get up earlier? And when should I start adjusting the time? Is it a big deal? Or am I making this more than it has to be?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With milking her twice a day, the morning milking being the longer fill (7am-5pm=10hrs....5pm-7am=14hours) you can likely start milking once a day once the days get shorter unless she's a good producer that would get too full with milking once every 24 hours.

When I cut back to once a day milkings, I cut out the 4:30 am milking and milk at 4-5 pm.

3. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Don't know your set up, but mine come to the house twice a day and beller till I go out and milk. I don't have to go find them. Occasionally I have to call them if they are not right up here, but they know their names and come.

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    They are out in the pen a few yards away, I have to go get them and bring them to garage where the stand is at, at least until we build a milking station :)

It didn't occur to me that DST would be adjusted by then, meaning I'll be adjusted to Summer's 7am when it's Winter's 6am, thus I can milk her among the 4th hour at night :) Just before dark! \o/