The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We recently "borrowed" a pair of goats from some neighbors and installed them in our backyard- they're supposed to help a bit with weed control. The first day or two have gone fine in terms of helping them adjust and they've been eating ok. Except today, when I noticed the elder of the two (a female, and I do not know the breed) has started to grind her teeth, and from what I've read that's a bad sign. She's also spending a lot of time standing on top of this bench in our backyard and not doing anything, and the last time I tried to tempt her with a treat (she loves chicken feed), she didn't seem to want it.

Am I worrying over nothing or should I do something? We're first-time goat owners and I'm not sure how well their other owners took care of them, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Teeth grinding is pain, does she have bloat? And are you sure that she's grinding her teeth, and not chewing cud?

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
Grinding of teeth is a sign of gut pain..chicken feed is not good for goats..

first get a temp..a cheap digital thermometer works great...normal range for goats is 101.5-103.5...
If you dont have C D Antitoxin or cant get any..Milk of magnesia will do..15 cc per 60# is needed to clean out the toxins...she might scour..but let it run its course to clean her out.. This is important ...
keep her well hydrated ( electrolyte recipe to follow)
NO FEED at all until she is better then only quality feed for goats..no chicken feed ever..it has medication in it that is harmful to goats..
offer hay and leaves
Probiotics are needed to restore flora in her rumen

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what yo have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

best wishes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This chicken feed is non-medicated starter to chicks so I really don't think it's what's bothering her because the other goat seems fine. I won't give them any more for now to be safe, though. I'll check the temperature as soon I as can, and thanks for the other stuff. I'll try to get her to eat more greens.

On the first reply, I'm fairly sure it's a grind because it sounds just like one and every time I've checked on her in the last few hours she's been doing it intermittently. She's definitely not bloated (she's actually a bit too thin, but that's how she was when we got her a few days ago). She's also been twitching a bit here and there.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
good news about the chicken feed being non medicated ;) ...I would still give the MOM however since she is grinding her teeth..it means her gut hurts...

once you get her temp it will help know where to go from there..if her temp is elevated she will need antibiotics...Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice....

if you can post a pic..we can help you decide their breed

·
Registered
308 Posts
You still shouldnt give goats chicken feed because goats are vegetarians and most chicken feed has meat by products or bone meal or other meat by products. Dont give them any more chicken feed. They sell goat treats if you want to give them goat specific treats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll avoid the feed for now. I've also contacted the owners (who I'm hoping can help check her temperature or see what's up).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and we've been thinking - is there a possibility that eating a certain plant might have caused her to be like this?
Yes, the old owners used it as a way to tempt them to do things (sort of like holding catnip in front of a cat will make it follow you)....it was a different kind of feed though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks again, and I've contacted the owners. I got an answer machine, but hopefully they'll call me back so I can't say anything right now.
For the record, I've got online because I really don't know how much those owners knew about goats and how to care for them. They kept them tethered up, which I've read isn't good for them...if nothing, they could at least call a vet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
She's been eating mostly green stuff growing in our backyard...weeds, grasses, leaves off bushes. Her companion has been eating the same and he seems perfectly fine. I'll also see if we've got a thermometer around (we're still getting it together on the supplies front). Both goats are just chilling out right now, and the grinding seems the only indication that she's not well. Might have to wait it out overnight :crazy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The owner called us, she says they only ate greens and brush and some grain as a treat. She didn't seem very worried about it....not sure what to think of that but it seems like the best bet honestly is to let them rest tonight as it is fairly late here and check back tomorrow and/or take action if it's still a problem then. Thanks for all the help so far ~

·
730 Posts
Try offering some baking soda, if nothing else maybe itll ease her tummy a little.. And PLEASE listen to what these people are telling you about the chicken feed.. If the previous owners fed it to them with no problems >> Then id have to say that "LUCK WAS ON THEIR SIDE".. It doesn't matter if its medicated or not PLEASE DONT FEED IT ANYMORE..Research all of the horror stories brought about from goats eating chicken feed. We will help you with your goats from our experiences of owning/raising/breeding them..I can tell you from PURE EXPERIENCE that a goat can be fine one minute, and dead the next! Goats are FAR FROM bullet proof, which most "NON-GOAT OWNERS" think.
Goats can be VERY FRAGILE (as you will learn in time). BEST OF LUCK with your new goats! And welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've let the whole family know that the feed is strictly off-limits from now on. She's had some water too, so hopefully she's hydrated.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
The problem with waiting to treat is she can go down hill fast. She may do just fine but depends on how messed up her tummy is. If you can at least give her milk of magnesium or pepto it would be helpful for her. Good luck .. Sounds like they are in better hands now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts