The Goat Spot Forum banner

Adopted goat - teeth grinding and odd behavior!

3K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  fd123 
#1 · (Edited)
We recently "borrowed" a pair of goats from some neighbors and installed them in our backyard- they're supposed to help a bit with weed control. The first day or two have gone fine in terms of helping them adjust and they've been eating ok. Except today, when I noticed the elder of the two (a female, and I do not know the breed) has started to grind her teeth, and from what I've read that's a bad sign. She's also spending a lot of time standing on top of this bench in our backyard and not doing anything, and the last time I tried to tempt her with a treat (she loves chicken feed), she didn't seem to want it.

Am I worrying over nothing or should I do something? We're first-time goat owners and I'm not sure how well their other owners took care of them, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#31 ·
My thought too.. Was it coming from her rectum or vulva?

#36 · (Edited)
I think he's intact but he's pretty young, and I really have no reason to suspect a pregnancy. The owners told us it is actually her son that they got from someone else (again, these people seem to know little so I can't be 100% sure). He's smaller and follows her around everywhere. My phone dropped service so I don't have a way of getting photos onto my laptop but it's difficult to see anything in them anyway, especially from under the tail which I couldn't really get under.

She's standing on the bench and occasionally walks around a bit as if she's fine. The grinding is the only way to even know something's up, really. I definitely cannot get a photo of her anus, but I can only describe it as if a little ball of poop is just sitting right under her tail. She won't let me lift/touch the tail without moving it in the way again.

I'm not sure I can really do anything else right now...I'm the only one awake worrying about it at this point. I think it's the accidental chicken feed feeding that's got her feeling poorly (sorry for being so unhelpful so far with my lack of knowledge about goats :eek:)

#37 ·
if she were bred and ready to kid any time..you would see a large udder..full and tight...her girly part would be big and baggie..maybe some discharge..sounds like to me the chicken feed may have got her a bit plugged up..the MOM will help that too if so..leave her with plenty of fluid access..hay and plain baking soda in a dish..hopefully she will rest tonight and poop well tomorrow...and have hr tummy issues worked out...
BTW bucks can breed as young as 4 months old :D some breed younger..your gal looks to have nubian in her..a dairy breed..and mix with something with a straight or dished face..maybe alpine..?? she is pretty...

#39 ·
She's definitely not showing those preggers signs you mentioned. I'll leave out the supplies and then probably close up shop for now and get the mom ect. first thing next day and leave them to rest right now (they haven't taken kindly to me showing up and shining flashlights on their butts...). Thanks for all the advice and help, and I'll keep everyone posted on the next few days.

#40 ·
Hey im glad to see that your concerned and eager to help! I have NO DOUBT that these goats are better off with you than the previous owners.. Hopefully shes just a little bloated and stopped up and itll pass during the night. Leave some baking soda out for her free choice with plenty of fresh water tonight. Be sure to read, read, and read some more about how to care for goats every free minute that you have,>> and take notes. Then build you an emergency supply of meds, ect. to have on hand in case an issue arises. I did a lot of reading on FIASCOs website, and read alot of emergency post on different goat forums when I first got into goats.... and I tell ya it has helped me a TON in managing my herd. I have a spiral notebook full of info with symptoms, and treatments that ive gathered from different places and written down. Also theres ALWAYS GOOD, and CARING PEOPLE on this forum that will be here to help in anyway possible..
Prayers sent for your girl!

#41 ·
GOOD NEWS! I returned to check on her this morning and found her eating grass in the yard, and with NO GRINDING. She seemed curious and enjoyed me petting her. Crisis averted, it seems. :cool:

Anyway, I had another chat with the owner and she told me (and I made the mistake not asking about this before) that my girl is 9 years old, which makes her a senior citizen in the goat world, right? The boy is only 2.

Obviously, I've got a lot of learn and figure out about keeping goats for now, but I'm glad she seems to have got through it and thanks to everyone here for the concern and help!

#42 ·
I would seriously consider getting the boy castrated if he is intact, at this age he will need surgery to do it.

Glad she seems to be feeling better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.