Adult doe in heat very aggressive with 2 doelings

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by dmartell24, Oct 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dmartell24

dmartell24 New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    Good afternoon!
    So, I have 3 ND does; two two year old babies and there momma who is about 4-5.
    They are all presenting like they are in heat (mounting, super vocal, biting hair, discharge, shaking tails) and there is no male for miles around.
    Momma is very aggressive and the babies are calling out like they are being killed!! Is there something I should do to separate them or is it safe to keep them together?
    They all sleep in one little barn in the same pasture at night and have a couple of other acres to roam during the day.
    Should I be worried about momma hurting the little ones? They seem absolutely terrified but are also showing signs of being in heat.
    I assume I just let nature take its course and it will pass, but I have never seen the babies so afraid and momma is truly being super aggressive smashing them into walls and trees and chasing them.
    Thanks for any input!!

MadHouse likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are they trying to mount mama?
    That can cause her to get violent.

Is that the only time she is hitting them or is it at random?

Maybe separate mama goat for 2 weeks or so, then try to re-introduce her back into the herd.
    This changes pecking order and may change this up.

David13-5, Sfgwife and MadHouse like this.

3. dmartell24

dmartell24 New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    Momma is actually trying to mount them. One of the babies tried to mount her and she appeared to go into 'standing heat' and just let it happen. She is most aggressive with the babies though for no reason whatsoever. She will simply start acting completely possessed in the early evening EVERY night and they run for cover and scream for hours.
    I think separation is the best thing. Thank you!!!

MadHouse likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sorry she is a pill. :(

dmartell24 likes this.