The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2yo doe Robin, who is in the second year of her first lactation (yes, she got bred far too early before I bought her) had seemed basically healthy apart from a browning coat and balding nose which I thought indicated copper deficiency. I ordered Copasure boluses, perhaps later than I should have. Those just arrived and I will give one later today. Robin had been rather skinny, but for the last 3 weeks we've upped her grain and she's responded well, filling out and eating enthusiastically.

This morning Robin had wet,cow-pie-like droppings, pale eyelids (much more so than last I checked them 2 weeks ago), and a rectal temp of 105.5 Her herdmate is still healthy--proper berry droppings, rectal temp 101.5 Robin still ate a fair bit of her grain (and also eagerly ate the baking soda I offered her). Her nostrils are dry and her breathing sounds normal.

We no longer have helpful farm animal vets in the area. I am not sure whether parasites,possibly encouraged by copper deficiency, could cause the fever as well as the scours, or whether I should figure that the scours and the temp are signs of an infection.

I'm going to give her aspirin now, copper and wormer shortly (my brother's making a run to the store). Wondering if I should also be giving penicillin promptly. Durvet Penicillin Injectable 500cc is what we can get in town. If I give that, how long is the milk withdrawal, and can penicillin be given SQ or must it be IM?

Are there other causes/treatments I should be thinking about?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Sometimes coccidia can cause scours along with a fever, but the pale membranes are likely barberpole or another worm.

What color is the poop?

Do you have banamine?

Okay here's some things to do:

Give probios.
Give a shot of B Complex
Drench with Tummy Trouble Paste: 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, cinnamon, slippery elm bark powder, and ginger (can be substituted for a slice of raw ginger the size of a quarter about 1/2 cm thick). Blend with 1 raw clove of garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and enough water to drench.

Give 2-4 times daily.

Withold grain and offer only hay and fresh browse.

If she is really anemic you will need to treat her for that with Red Cell etc. and here is everything you'll need to know on that topic: https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2020/05/23/anemia-in-goats-treatment-recovery/

If she were mine I'd try to get a fecal before treatment, but if you usually go with chemicals immediately I'm sure someone can chime in with a recommendation for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Poop is chocolate brown.

I don't have banamine. Hence the aspirin.

Thank you for the resources on anemia.

Generally my goats refuse to eat probios, even with molasses, but I expect I can get it down her in a peanut butter ball.

Are there plants you'd recommend for B supplementation?

Thanks again.

Joanna

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, something I neglected to ask before: is it likely to be safe to feed her milk to our pig, or should we be dumping it?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Does the poop smell really foul?

Peanut butter ball is fine for probios or just use the applicator and squirt it in her mouth.

You can get some cayenne and mix with raw honey and rub it on her gums, but that is no replacement for B Complex so encourage you to purchase b complex injectable as soon as possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't notice it smelling really foul earlier, and the old piles don't smell really foul; she's not pooping as often now (though still eating enthusiastically).Will check next time she drops some more.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
You really need a fecal for cocci and worms. To know what to treat for. Any vet can do it.

Red cell for anemia, 6 cc's per 100 lbs daily for 1 week, then 1 x a week thereafter until it gets to famancha boarderline safe, then stop at that time, check color daily.

Copper deficiency can cause worms loads, parasite issues, ect.

Her immunity being so down, she must of gotten pneumonia.
Treat for that too.
If all you have is penG, it is 1 cc per 20 lbs SQ, always pull back the syringe and check for blood in syringe before injecting, see blood, remove needle and find and check another spot.
Give for 5-7 days, 2 x a day.

bio-mycin 200 would of been a better option for pnemonia though, if you can get it, 1 x a day, 1 cc per 20 lbs SQ for 5 days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you both. Gave up and called the vet when it became clear that the aspirin hadn't taken down the fever and that the stools were getting worse. (I did get probiotics into her, also electrolytes.) He gave Banamine, Ivermectin, and tetracycline (LA-200)--the last because he suspected anaplasmosis; apparently the ticks in the area are carrying that, and it's been a bad tick year. He thought she wasn't very anemic (took a blood sample to confirm that, as well as a fecal). He left me another Banamine shot in case her fever is still high tomorrow. Does Banamine really have to be given IV?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This morning (after an unusually warm night) her temp was down to 102.5. Still scouring, less appetite and less milk than yesterday, but still eating some clover, hay, berry-bramble, birch, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the warning. Normally my goats get a decent amount of clover and that seems OK, and in the linked anemia post above I'd seen alfalfa recommended (we don't have it) and had guessed that clover might substitute. But as she appears not to be anemic and clover can contribute to scours, I won't add anything beyond the bits she can get off the pasture.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you again, everyone! Today she's pooping pellets again and regaining her energy, appetite, and production (and her temp's down a little lower than yesterday despite another hot muggy night). Gave her one more shot of B complex at morning milking as she's still eating a bit gingerly...it sounds as though that's hard to overdose on. Thank you very much.

Her milk last night and this am was fairly yellow, but I am hoping that's just a temporary effect either of the meds in her system or of how low her production dropped yesterday when she wasn't eating or drinking much. No bad smell/flakes/chunks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts