The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to goats, so I really need some help. I bought some goatss with another guy. He was keeping them at his place. One of our older goats ( we bought several at a special auction) came down with scours. She seemed to have dried up. However, they started escaping their enclosure so we moved them to my place. This goat has started with the scours again. They are light colored and very runny. Nobody else has a problem. While at his place, he fed them heavily in corn. I told him to stop, but he kept feeding them goat feed and BOSS and sweet feed he usually feeds his cows. I put out baking soda and minerals for them (especially her). I don't know what to do for her. She was very bony, skinny when we got her. She seemed more of a rescue than a purchase. She seems to be adding weight despite her diarrhea. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Get a fecal done at the vet. Make sure they include coccidia. That would be the first thing to start with. Also, their diet should be more browse/grazing/hay than feed. She may need extra like alfalfa pellets, calf manna and beet pulp to help build her up but any dietary change should be done slowly. You can give a goat grain but it shouldn't be a big part of their diet.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
I second that!...in the mean time, While you sort all that out with fecals I would give her pepto to help dry her up and sooth her tummy..I would not feed any grain until she berries up and I would give her c d antitoxin until she is dry...give her hay only
electrolytes to encourage drinking so she don't de hydrate
I would check her lower inner eye lids to see if she is anemic and begin treatment if she is...here is a link for an eye chart
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ueb8IWSDTL8
to treat anemia:
red cell..6 cc per 100# daily for a week then once a week til color returns
Vit B 12 or B complex Plus which has a good amount of 12 in it
off her alfalfa and green leaves and once dry include high protien feed to help her rebuild her red blood cells

1 - 4 of 4 Posts