The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our goat got his leg wrapped tight in a tether lead and lost circulation. We gave him Pencillin shots and cleaned would with Epsom Salt baths and germicidal spray. His leg shriveled up but he has been eating, drinking and getting around fine on 3 legs. Yesterday, sadly to say, his leg fell off above the knee!! We cannot afford surgery for the little guy and I do realize this is not professional vet advice. I need any suggestions I can get on how to save his little life. Otherwise we will have to put him down. Any help making sure we do everything possible to help him is appreciated! We are already doing Pencillin shots. Gave him 1ml yesterday as a booster, and will be doing about .5 ml going forward as he weighs approx 30lbs. I cleaned the wound with warm water/epsom salts, followed by hydrogen peroxide and let dry. I then applied germicidal spray and wrapped with livestock gauze. He is doing ok so far and not in pain. A few of my questions are, does he need a tetunus booster? He had one in May. His next one would be due at 6 mos should I give it now? Is it ok to give a little extra penicillin for at least a few days? And I was told that a bandage is ok for a few days, but the wound will need to dry out to heal. I feel like it needs to stay covered to avoid infection but not sure for how long? What else can I be doing that I don't know about? Is there anything I am doing wrong? I do have a call in to the vet but they are not open today. Talking with a friend who worked for a vet, the above suggestions were from her. I will post pictures of the wound from last night after it fell off, and tonight when I rebandage. Injured buckling leg fell off 2 Thank you, :cry: concerned first time goat mom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Our goat got his leg wrapped tight in a tether lead and lost circulation. We gave him Pencillin shots and cleaned would with Epsom Salt baths and germicidal spray. His leg shriveled up but he has been eating, drinking and getting around fine on 3 legs. Yesterday, sadly to say, his leg fell off above the knee!! We cannot afford surgery for the little guy and I do realize this is not professional vet advice. I need any suggestions I can get on how to save his little life. Otherwise we will have to put him down. Any help making sure we do everything possible to help him is appreciated! We are already doing Pencillin shots. Gave him 1ml yesterday as a booster, and will be doing about .5 ml going forward as he weighs approx 30lbs. I cleaned the wound with warm water/epsom salts, followed by hydrogen peroxide and let dry. I then applied germicidal spray and wrapped with livestock gauze. He is doing ok so far and not in pain. A few of my questions are, does he need a tetunus booster? He had one in May. His next one would be due at 6 mos should I give it now? Is it ok to give a little extra penicillin for at least a few days? And I was told that a bandage is ok for a few days, but the wound will need to dry out to heal. I feel like it needs to stay covered to avoid infection but not sure for how long? What else can I be doing that I don't know about? Is there anything I am doing wrong? I do have a call in to the vet but they are not open today. Talking with a friend who worked for a vet, the above suggestions were from her. I will post pictures of the wound from last night after it fell off, and tonight when I rebandage. Injured buckling leg fell off 2 Thank you, :cry: concerned first time goat mom
Leg after falling off Day 1

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Oh boy..im so sorry that happened. A clear picture would definitely help. The picture I see is not clear enough to see. Since it fell off due to lack of blood flow, i assume there's not a bleeding issue. I would Keep him on penicillin until the wound looks healed and clean and no threat of infection. Dose is 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day for 48 hr and 2 times a day if using reg. Pen. Always sub Q and always pull back the plunger to check for blood before injecting. No blood is good to go. You can use gauze to wrap to help it stay clean but allows air flow.. but I would want to see the leg to know if that is best. Manuka honey is fantastic for wounds. It's very healing.. just need to keep the area covered while using,, again with gauze and keep a close eye for bugs who maybe drawn to the honey.. the gauze wrap will help keep flies off as well.. change 1 to 2 times a day or sooner if needed. Keep tabs on his temp. (101.5-103.5 is normal range)
As for a tetanus shot. If he got the vaccine in May he should be covered. If it was the tetanus antitoxin then I would give that asap again. It last for 10 days.
To clean, I would use Chlorhexidine or a very diluted iodine, (to look like a weak tea)gently wash and pat dry and apply wound spray like vetrycin or the honey. Keeping it clean and dry..deep clean bedding helps.
If he seems in pain..banamine is good. B complex and probiotics to support his system.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
I should have asked..is the stump closed off? No bone exposed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have asked..is the stump closed off? No bone exposed?
Thank you for the reply and advice. The bone is not completely exposed, there is raw flesh mostly around the nub. With skin flaking off above wound. Not bleeding. I will send you a picture again this evening when I clean and treat him. I want to try and save the little guy if I can. As for the tetanus shot it was the Toxoid vaccine. I will send you a picture of the bottle this evening as well. I will have to go to the feed store tomorrow to get the Chlorhexidine they are closed today. The germicidal spray I am using is Blu-Kote. I have Manuka Honey on hand and will use tonight. Thank you again, I will be in touch! Prayers for Dio! He is in good spirits and eating and drinking normally and getting around with his brother. I will take his temp as well.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
If there is bone exposed then he may need a vet to clean and stitch it closed. I would be concerned that not ever healing with it not stitched. @goathiker may have additional information for your little guy on that.
Make sure to watch him close with using honey as it can attract unwanted pests. Use it for a few hours and wash off well for over night so you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Poor little guy! I don't have any advice on the leg but I hope he heals over quickly and learns to walk well on his three legs. Was he tethered out or did he just get into a loose leash left lying around? Either way, this is a very hard lesson to learn! Some people frown on tethering goats but I find it can be very practical if done correctly. If you want to tether goats out I have some tips on how to do it safely so this kind of thing can't happen. I had a goat that lived on a 30-60 foot tether 24/7 (well, 22/7--we took him for daily walks and plenty of weekend hikes) for four years and never had an incident.

Once again, good luck with that leg! I hope you get some good advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poor little guy! I don't have any advice on the leg but I hope he heals over quickly and learns to walk well on his three legs. Was he tethered out or did he just get into a loose leash left lying around? Either way, this is a very hard lesson to learn! Some people frown on tethering goats but I find it can be very practical if done correctly. If you want to tether goats out I have some tips on how to do it safely so this kind of thing can't happen. I had a goat that lived on a 30-60 foot tether 24/7 (well, 22/7--we took him for daily walks and plenty of weekend hikes) for four years and never had an incident.

Once again, good luck with that leg! I hope you get some good advice.
Yes he was on a tether. I was told after this happened that I should not have had him on one. It was a hard lesson for sure. Working on building fencing but lumber is super spendy right now. We have the two brothers in our gated garden area for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would wound closure strips be helpful to keep tissue healing over the bone? I'd think it could speed up tissue healing with less slippage.

Good luck! He sounds remarkably resilient! And you are caring for him very well.
Where could I find the strips? Just same ones we would use on wounds over the counter? Good idea thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh boy..im so sorry that happened. A clear picture would definitely help. The picture I see is not clear enough to see. Since it fell off due to lack of blood flow, i assume there's not a bleeding issue. I would Keep him on penicillin until the wound looks healed and clean and no threat of infection. Dose is 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day for 48 hr and 2 times a day if using reg. Pen. Always sub Q and always pull back the plunger to check for blood before injecting. No blood is good to go. You can use gauze to wrap to help it stay clean but allows air flow.. but I would want to see the leg to know if that is best. Manuka honey is fantastic for wounds. It's very healing.. just need to keep the area covered while using,, again with gauze and keep a close eye for bugs who maybe drawn to the honey.. the gauze wrap will help keep flies off as well.. change 1 to 2 times a day or sooner if needed. Keep tabs on his temp. (101.5-103.5 is normal range)
As for a tetanus shot. If he got the vaccine in May he should be covered. If it was the tetanus antitoxin then I would give that asap again. It last for 10 days.
To clean, I would use Chlorhexidine or a very diluted iodine, (to look like a weak tea)gently wash and pat dry and apply wound spray like vetrycin or the honey. Keeping it clean and dry..deep clean bedding helps.
If he seems in pain..banamine is good. B complex and probiotics to support his system.
Dio Leg Evening 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can get a good picture of the bone part,I would like to see if there is new tissue granulation.
Dio Leg Evening 2
Sorry for the bad pictures. It was hard to get him to hold still. I cleaned wound with warm water, then Chlorhexidine, let dry, added Blu-Kote germicidal spray. Then wrapped with breathable guaze. 3cc Penicillin, given Subq. He is approx 35-40 lbs. He is still getting around pretty well and eating and drinking. I cleaned out Igloo house and laid fresh bedding as well. I apologize for the bad pics, I had sprayed that Blu-Kote spray last night on him so it makes it hard to see. I will be getting different germicidal spray tomorrow when feed store opens. I will also look for the wound closure strips. There is a fairly small amount of bone showing right in the center of the nub. and I am concerned that it slightly smelled when opening the bandage. Thank you for your help and advice!
Heather

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can get a good picture of the bone part,I would like to see if there is new tissue granulation.
Dio Leg Evening 2
Sorry for the bad pictures. It was hard to get him to hold still. I cleaned wound with warm water, then Chlorhexidine, let dry, added Blu-Kote germicidal spray. Then wrapped with breathable guaze. 3cc Penicillin, given Subq. He is approx 35-40 lbs. He is still getting around pretty well and eating and drinking. I cleaned out Igloo house and laid fresh bedding as well. I apologize for the bad pics, I had sprayed that Blu-Kote spray last night on him so it makes it hard to see. I will be getting different germicidal spray tomorrow when feed store opens. I will also look for the wound closure strips. There is a fairly small amount of bone showing right in the center of the nub. and I am concerned that it slightly smelled when opening the bandage. Thank you for your help and advice!
Heather

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
You can't use those types of things if you want it to cover overall. Blue Kote, iodine preparations, etc kill healthy cells as well as bad ones.

I won't see pictures from a link. Google has no permissions on my phone.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
I can't get the pix either. Is there enough skin to pull over the bone to secure? Stick with Chlorhexidine for cleaning. Vetrycin wound spray should be fine to use after cleaning in place of Blu Kote.
Hows his temp holding up?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,898 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that there are ways to build fences without lumber. You could use electric fence wire with t-posts, electric netting, or you could even build your corner braces with the wedge loc system if you didn't want to go electric: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/wedge loc?

So sorry you and him are going through this. Hoping he recovers to 100%!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yes he was on a tether. I was told after this happened that I should not have had him on one. It was a hard lesson for sure. Working on building fencing but lumber is super spendy right now. We have the two brothers in our gated garden area for now.
Oh dear! I'm so sorry this happened! I use smooth link chain when I tether. It can't cinch down like rope, and even if it somehow catches around a leg (pretty rare) it can't cut off circulation because of the angles created by the links.

I second the suggestion to use electric fence. It's much cheaper than lumber and it has an added bonus of helping with predator control. Also, goats can't chew it or climb on it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts