Advice for flaky skin?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Sep 14, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Why do all 4 of my wethers have flaky skin......they get good quality hay 24/7 plus browse....they are copper bolused and wormed.....they are all a bit on the fat side.....I only grain a small amount in the winter.....they have loose minerals, I see them eat them. They have beautiful shiny soft coats....I brush them every day....I have treated them for mites. Oh....and I have given them zinc supplements with no change.

Any ideas or advice for supplements?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow--I am not sure! Have you tried using aloe vera juice? I know that some here have used that with success.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....forgot to mention that! I am wondering if it is a seasonal thing, they seem to be worse with the changes in seasons and their coats.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Could be but it seems strange that they would all have the same sensitivity...hmmm....who knows!?

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    right.....It does not seem to bother them...it bothers me more.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Walmart has the store brand of fast absorbing baby oil....it doesn't make them greasy at all, just absorbs into dry skin quickly, you could try massaging that into them. I know my Hank had an entirely different issue going on but at this point after using it on him 2 months ago, his skin is as soft as my does.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz.....I might just have to try it!

8. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Maybe they just need a bath? The flaky skin has to go somewhere.

I just asked a question on the management area about bathing. I bought two dry does that have dandruff. I gave them ivomectin and spritzed them with horse-fly-spray which should have taken care of any parasites (although I saw no parasites). Next step is a bath.

The other thing I am thinking of is that they may need more fatty acids in their diet. I've been reading about BOSS or black oil sunflower seeds, which some goats like to eat. Anywhere from a tablespoon full to a cup full a day (work up to it slowly) may help. Calf Manna has flax seed in it --- I have been working on a thin goat to put her on a rising plane of nutrition prior to breeding her, and she goes through a half cup or so of Calf Manna, a tablespoon or so of BOSS and also I've been feeding her a quality mare-and-foal feed and her coat has become soft and shiny and she's just totally lovely right now - just blossomed!

The two goats that I want to bathe are also probably deficient in fatty acids -- the essential fatty acids and oils that are necessary for the body to function at its best. So they get a little Calf Manna and Bosss, although they do not need to gain weight and just need a little.

It can't hurt to give a LITTLE supplement. And at the same time, realize that they may need grooming or a bath or something.

:ponder: