The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am pretty new to this board and I believe this is my first regular post. This is sorta a weird question so I apologize in advance.:) We have a small little funny farm...2 8year old pygmies, 4 Nigerians, 2 cows, 2 pot belly pigs, 2 chickens, 2 ponies, 2 cats and three dogs. I stay home with our almost 3 year old daughter and am in charge of all the animals. My husband helps when necessary but if it wasn't for me I am sure he would not have this many animals:). I also do most of the child care since my husband works a lot..he is wonderful help when he is home, but he is not home often. We recently decided(after 2 miscarriages) that we are happy to be a family of three for the next year or two and maybe indefinitely. Welllll, not sure if I am just hormonal or what, but all of the sudden I have a bit of baby fever. We think we have figured out the reasons for our miscarriages(low progesterone) so we could start trying again if we want.

I would really love some advice or encouragement from mothers that took care of their animals(milking goats as well) with a toddler(who is very helpful actually) and a baby. All while keeping a home and husband happy.:) I am afraid I can't handle it all and am scared. I want our children to grow up with animals so it's very important to me and my husband. Sorry this is so long! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Welcome! I remember you making your welcome post :)

I am not a mother, nor should I, since I am only 14 ;) But maybe I can give you some tips?

I know a lot of mothers on here (single, stay at home, husband works a lot, etc) keep play pens set up in different areas, so when you need to feed the goats, pop the kids in a pen, and feed the goats. Maybe you could make a hay feeder that's large enough so you only need to refill it once or twice a week? We have a mini horse, and previously had ponies. I know they are easy. Maybe you could make a similar feeder for them. For milking, you can make a DIY hand milker for under $50 and that would speed milking up :) Maybe you could make a couple and teach your toddler how to use one when she is older? They are easy to use so if you got it started for her she could probably help. For the cows and pigs, no idea, because we have never had either. :) Chickens, cats and dogs are easy. Hope this helps a bit, sorry if it doesn't. Like I said, no experience in motherhood! :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I don't have children of my own either, but have had a couple babies "raised up" in my barn as barn kids, so I can tell you that just like every other situation when you add a new critter to the mix, you just acclimate. As an infant you will have lots of time while he/she is sleeping snuggled up in the car seat/stroller/whatever near by (or in a sling when you are able to), as the kid grows, then he/she will mostly happily play in one of those walker things, and as the kid turns into a toddler, he/she will take a bit more time, as you teach them the manners and lessons needed to be around animals, but you will notice that they will learn to respect the animals quickly. By then, your oldest will be old enough to be more of a help too, and will be able to keep the youngest distracted more than your daughter now because it won't be just you and her 1 on 1.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I grew up on a farm and when I had my boys, we lived on different farm...As long as you teach your kids to respect the animals, it's not that hard. They have to be absolutely disciplined to NOT play with the animals when you aren't right there and as to what is and isn't acceptable. Playpens are a fantastic idea. I've done chores with a screaming kid time or 2!! Kids will survive and so will the animals. Like was suggested before, get the set-up to where it's easier for you to feed and water. Milking will be the hardest since that's kinda hard to interrupt once you start. As long as you realize it IS ok for your baby to cry for a short time, you should be able to manage that. And beyond that....well....you do what you have to. And it will all come together easier than you might think.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
The toddler will need "jobs" to do. It's good training for later as well. Twice a day you and her must go do your chores. Hers can be wiping off the feed barrel with a dry rag. Bringing you and putting back the supplies, baby wipes and such, sweeping with a soft brush. The baby is easy, get or make a sling for her/him. A baby on your back is out of the way and easy to do anything with. A baby carried in a sling is happier and healthier as well.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Im am a mom of 8!!! so my older kids help with the younger..but as Goathiker said..little jobs keep little hands busy and where mom can see them..most importantly..enjoy the time, dont rush it, pace yourself..if you need to feed first and milk later..thats ok...it doesnt have to be a "normal" how everyone else does it..make it work for you... a baby monitor is wonderful if you need to step out while baby is sleeping...and dont be shy about asking or accepting help...begin training your toddler now...and when the baby arrives you already have things down and so does your toddler...now just add the baby and you are good to go...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree with these girls!!! The only thing I want to add is when baby comes take advantage of nap times. Always keep in mind its not going to kill the little guy/girl if he has to wait a minute to get to him. And since you said cow stress to both about danger and when you say to sit there or do this they must. We run 200 pair of cattle and they know when I'm at the corral they must follow instructions and a simple kick could mean death. And also know it takes over a pound of eating dirt to make them sick ;)
If you take the time to think ahead on making chores easier you will be just fine.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I am another one who has no kids, but I know it can be done. My mother balanced at least 3 kids - possibly 4 - and milking/feeding cows, hoeing weeds out of the summer fallow back when they couldn't afford diesel to use the tractor to do it, housework, cooking, baking, reading to us, wrestling around with us, and still did her bit as a wife. I was starting 6th grade when she went back to school and got her degree in teaching, got a job, worked full time and still checked calving heifers every two hours all night long every night for a month or two. She did it because she could go back to sleep when she came in, whereas Dad would be up the rest of the night. Personally, I don't see how she did it. When I ask her about it, she just shrugs and says "You do what you have to do." About the only advice I can give you is to make sure your kids understand that what you say goes - no questions, no challenges, no arguments, period - end of discussion. If that is not the case, they will get hurt. Sometimes I think I was born with the knowledge that if Mom or Dad told me to stay put they meant it, and I would sincerely regret not listening and heeding.

·
1,132 Posts
I have a 5 yr old and a 13 month old. Usually I wait to do chores when the 5 yr old goes to school and I'll take the 13 month old outside with me. I put him in a stroller or I use my baby carrier. When the 5 yr old is home and he has to come out to the pasture with me he usually has his stick. If any of the goats or dogs get too close to him he swings his stick around and they run off. They really don't pay any attention to him though. He's been running the pasture with me since he was his brothers age so they are used to him. If I have to do a chore like feed the goats I don't let him come out with me. I don't want to take a chance of him getting ran over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ladies! We have always had animals(grew up with them) but I am new to dairy goats and milking. My daughter is great with all the animals and does have little jobs to do while I am feeding. I have been feeding with her since she was a newborn and so she has grown up with it. This past summer was our first experience milking as I bought a doe in milk and my daughter did wonderfully with it. She either sat with me while I milked or fed the chickens treats. She loves 'her' goats.
So I have things figured out with her, it's just adding a newborn to my already full plate that I am worried about. I often feel like a single parent with no breaks, but I do think my animals are what keeps me sane sometimes.;) I love all your suggestions! Thank you so much. I think I will have to let some things go a little to and realize that's ok(housework wise). Thanks again! You ladies are wonderful. It helps to hear stories of how people have done it. Very encouraging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And goatcrazy, your mom sounds amazing!!

I think I need to relax a little and have more confidence in myself. I am proud that I handle most everything at home(kid, chores, housework,yard work, shopping etc.) with out help from my husband i am just scared to add another to the mix. You all have made me feel a lot better about it though.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My mother is a truly amazing woman! I wish I was half the woman she is, but I don't seem to have it in me. She was thrown from a horse a very long time ago and ruptured a couple of vertebrae in her back. She had surgery to fuse her spine and prevent it from severing her spinal cord a few years ago, but another one ruptured below where her spine was fused together not long after the surgery. She cannot straighten up, she cannot stand for any length of time, and she has trouble walking, but that does not stop her from raking hay or bumping around loading hay with Dad in the fields when needed.

I think you're right. Believe in yourself, do not borrow trouble, take each thing as it comes and you just might be truly astounded by what you can accomplish! ;) :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am a day care provider and a few of my parents are farmers and when one of them had there first child she would feed calves before going to work so I gave her my baby back pack she would put her son in that and away they would go when she had her second she pulled the 2 yr old around in a wagon and he helped as the baby rode in the back pack it might be overwhelming at first but all of us mom seen to turn into super heroes when we have kids we do it all!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts