The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone ran into this. We had a doe that last year aborted twins, her first kidding. Then this year she went into labor yesterday wasn't really pushing the first baby but the sac broke so we ended up finding out the first kid head was stuck and my husband pulled it out to find a HUGE baby. Then a sac came partially out and no progress for a hour so we went in and had to search around to find another baby and pulled it out to find it was dead and starting to decay so had been dead awhile. Was hard labor for her. She is barely acknowledging her baby. She licked it a little but not much. She will stand and let it nurse and talk to it and lick it now and then but not caring a lot for it. Her first live baby. We gave her LA300 last night since she had dead baby insider her. Now today she seems dopey and won't eat. We have to make her stand up to feed the baby. She has 104 temp so slightly elevated. We are going out to give her banamine right now but anyone have any idea what might be going on with her. She did clean well so we are positive we got everything. Maybe a toxic from the dead baby? Anything we should be doing differently. We are doing our best to save her. The baby is very strong so think that he will be find as long as we make sure she feeds him!! Thanks to everyone who provides advice! We are new to this!

·
Super Moderator
59,251 Posts
I would start treating her with CMPK along with the Banamine and antibiotics. Put some molasses in her water too. I would also do a B Complex shot.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, you may have a calcium issue. The weak labor and the downhill spiral can both be signs of Milk fever (hypocalcemia). She may need extra calcium. That is what CMPK is. You can get it at many feed stores. Meanwhile you can grind up human calcium or tums, mix it into a paste and drench her with it. That won't be enough but it is something you can do at night until someplace opens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice! We did give banamine last night and nuflor as the vet recommended. I then added molasses to the water/food like you suggested. She did end up getting up eating and drinking and today is standing. So think we are making progress. I am planning on purchasing the calcium supplement when I can locate some. I saw I can buy it online. I appreciate all your help. I think we are on the right path. Thanks again for your advice. We have another doe kidding right now. Hope this one goes better!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A vet in a town 20 miles from us has some. Will head there to get some today and get it in her. Just delivered another healthy baby from another doe. I'm really not sure why this doe I am mentioning below keeps loosing her babies. Aborted twins last year and this year one dead. I read that Clamidia runs through a herd and so far she is the only issue, no one else.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
It may just be her and might be something you can't fix. You may need to evaluate how attached you are to her and if she's worth keeping. 2 bad kiddings would be a cull point for me. I have one doe that I probably should cull....she has only ever raised ONE kid each year regardless of whether she had twins or not. But....she's a sweetheart and gives decent milk and her one kid that she raises is usually a pretty good one. Sooo...for us, she gets to stay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most definitely. We have discussed this already. We will see if she acts better when she feels better but so far, she does talk to her kid and she will lick it but she isn't a good mom. She isn't worried where the baby is or who has it like our other moms do. She is fine if it nurses but she isn't trying to feed it. We have another mom with triplets and if she finds one isn't eating she goes and paws at it and gets it up. She is a super mom! Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

·
14,615 Posts
My wild guess is bacteria left overs from dead kid. A uterine flush would certainly help, along with a good 5 days of penicillin or in your case, the Nuflor.
When there is an expired kid it has a tendency to poisen the others. And doe usually does not go into labor or if she does she will quit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts