Advice Needed please!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jay13, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Last week I found what appeared to be another aborted fetus from one of my girls. :( It was the size of a newborn kitten (no, there aren't any kittens that it could be) had no fur and was unidentifiable. (our tom cat had gotten to it) there was what appeared to be a cord and other gunk with it so I am pretty certain it wasn't an unlucky mouse. I checked each of my three girls and there was no mess or changes that I could see that would indicate which it was that miscarried.

How soon do you think it will be before the girl that miscarried goes back into heat? They are alpines so I need to get her bred before its too late.

Do you think there is a problem with Millie (who I'm pretty sure miscarried last season too) that is could be causing this?

Are there any triggers that could cause a miscarriage like this? Currently they get good hay, a small amount of grain 16% with a hand full of BOSS, free choice loose mineral, fresh water, couple of small pumpkins chopped up each day (to share).

Thank you so much, I appreciate any advice you can give. :)

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Chalmydia (which can also present as pink-eye) can cause late term abortion in does. Others on here will probably know more; I can't remember all the details...

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I am sorry to hear this. Is the hay mold free, like totally sure it is? There is also something (I can nto remember the name iof it of course), it is caused from cat, peeing in the hay that is fed to the goats. It causes abortions also.
    What about the possibility of another goat butting her? I had that happen several years ago, a doe was butted and she aborted.

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Their hay is clean and dry and the cat doesn't have access to it due to the relative locations of the cat, our dogs, and the hay. She is the bossy one... she is always butting everyone else, not the other way around. At least if its her that miscarried. It is possible I suppose that it was one of the other two.

Do you think it is more likely to be a repeat miscarry rather than have a second doe miscarry like that?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I so sorry.... about the loss :(

Maybe have the vet test her ...for some types of diseases.... that can cause abortions...to rule that out....I agree that mold in hay and cat urine.... can be the culprit as well....also getting slammed by another goat.....if that happen each year she was bred .... but... that is kinda slim ... :scratch: ...on some of these reasons why...... :hug: Does she have a foul odor discharge..? If she got an infection that may also cause problems..... :hug:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Toxoplasmosis would be contracted from exposure to cat feces. It can also be contracted from the feces of other critters...not positive on which ones at this point though.
    How far along in pregnancy are your does? If they are at least 3 months you can feel baby bumps, just in front of the udder it will feel like a firm ball.

A repeat miscarriage is possible, if there are any underlying reproductive issues. A vet may be able to help with diagnostics through blood work or even to confirm that the doe you are questioning is still pregnant.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    You said the cat had it. Are you positive the cat didn't drag it in from somewhere else? With the last abortion, did the doe have discharge or bleed?
    We had a doe abort last month, and although she was a month and a half away from kidding, it looked like a regular delivery.

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    She would have only been about 2 months along. Oh, and the cat has his own corner of the barn that is inaccessible to the goats where he does his "business." I am fairly sure that this wasn't something the cat dragged in due to what appeared to be membranes. I wish I had had my camera out with me when I found it.

Any ideas on when I should be looking for signs of heat in my does so I can tell if they are still bred or not?

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thanks Liz, I new someone would know what I was talking about.

Now if it was me, I would not breed her again until next year. She needs a break and time to heal. That is what I would do.

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Oh and I am not sure which doe this was, I have 3. There was no discharge or blood or anything. Although I may have a good idea, my little dexy who is 8 months old was mooning over the fence at the buck and he was doing his best to climb the fence to get to her! I thought she was mistakenly bred earlier this season, I was sure of it! Perhaps it was she who miscarried from being too young and pregnant? We have since moved him further away from the girls with a buddy until we figure out what exactly is going on!

11. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Do you have any unaltered female cats? Did the fetus have hooves? That seems really tiny even for a 2 month pregnancy.

Ive been looking at this thread on and off but didnt reply, That just keeps coming to me.

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Hidden Waters:
    No: no unaltered cats, just the Tom.
    I couldn't see any definable hooves or even legs. What I do know is this looks very much like what I found in the yard last year and one of my does who (after 4 months with the buck) should have been pregnant didn't kid. She had a half hearted heat beginning of Feb but didn't take then either. As I said, the cat had been at it and it was in several pieces strewn about the pen.