Advice needed/wanted about kid

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    We have a little buckling born a couple days ago that I need advice about. Ok lemme start by saying mom was a terrible mother last year and I ended up bottle feeding her. Mom would beat her up and everything. This year she seems to be trying but things just arent right. Lemme start by saying she has a very small udder, I didnt even think she was close to being due yet. Thought the month later date because her udder was so small [she was put in with the buck then a month later] Anyways she does have milk, the buckling nows where it is, and does suck... but he goes from udder side to side never sucking for long. Maybe a gulp or two at most. Then theres the fact that they dont seem bonded at all. He doesnt follow her, she doesnt call to him, nothing. He sits by himself most of the time. My question is.... should I leave him with mom and hope he forms a bond? Maybe offer him a bottle once a day? He doesnt seem full, belly not super full, but he doesnt seem weak either. I can bottle feed him if needed, and I have another bottle baby he could go in with for company if needed. But hmm...

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Has she been tested for CAE? (first thought that came to mind when you were talking about her udder- milk should have started to come in by now if he is a few days old)

I would at the least be supplementing him with a bottle right now to make sure he gets enough.
    Do you have mom and baby seperated from the herd?
    If not- I would put them in a stall together and see if that doesnt help the bonding process.
    Since she didn't raise her baby last year- its almost as if this were her first time, and it can take a little while for them to get the hang of it, but I would think if they havent bonded after a few days, its not going to happen.

3. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

No she was not CAE test but has always had a small udder and never showed any other signs of CAE.

How often would you try and give him a bottle? They are in a stall with a few other mothers but not in the big herd. Thats what I really dont know how long do I give her to bond with him? At least if hes with this other little doe maybe they can be friends. Because mom just leaves him alone.

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well what the heck- if your bottle feeding another one, whats two? They can be pals- maybe thats best in this situation.
    I would try to give him a bottle every 4 hours or so, see how much he is drinking, that will give you a better idea how much he is really getting (or not getting) from mom.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ...ProctorHillFarm.....good advice all the way around.... :wink:

6. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah its really not a problem to bottle feed him. I expected it from this mom. But I just wanna do what is best for him. So I thought id ask what you all thought. Poor little boy. He wanted to bond with mom, he tries to follow her. I feel bad for him. Just glad the other 5 moms so far have been good moms.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As ProctorHillFarm mentioned.... if you want to bottle feed and let them bond ....then put them in a stall for at least 3 days of bonding time....away from the other goats... :wink: