Advice needed....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 4hmama, Jun 13, 2009.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Some of you know that I have an 8 year old that wants to show nigerian dwarf goats in 4-H. We went to the livestock weigh-in this morning (just had to show paperwork) and there was a goat there being weighed in that didn't make weight for the market class. Several of the adults there talked and talked about what may be wrong with it, why it was so small, etc...I interrupted and asked the owner what breed it was and they couldn't remember. I asked if it was a Nubian (knowing that it was) and they said - yes, that was it. I explained that the goat probably wouldn't make weight in the market class since it was a dairy goat (needed to be 60# and it weighed 24#). They had no idea. The extension agent didn't catch the fact that it was a dairy breed, nor did the other 4-H leaders. It was about 3 months old and had horns. I opened my mouth again and said that I didn't think that a dairy goat could be shown with horns.... Again - the other adults weren't sure. I apologized and said that I didn't mean to make waves, I was just trying to help, but I was pretty sure that was the rule.

The point of my story...we have a few kids that are wanting to get into showing dairy...but there is NO help here! Pigs, beef, sheep, and market goats are common, but a dairy goat isn't even recognized. I am learning, and am willing to learn, but is there someone out there who would be willing to come and put on a dairy goat 'class' for some of our kids to learn about breeds, showing, etc.? Or...if someone could direct me to a place where I could learn and bring info back, I'd be willing.

We are about ready to give up on showing, simply because of a lack of support and opportunity. Dairy isn't a priority here, although there is some interest. Any advice??

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I really wish I could help ...but... I don't know about the dairy goats and showing them.....there are some on here that do know....I hope they come on here soon ...and can give you that support and knowledge that I know they have.......Don't give up ... :hug:

I am so sorry that .....those people at the livestock weigh-in are not helping you...... :( :hug:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The only real dairy goat show around here is at the state fair. As for other shows, there just isn't that many around, at least in central WA, but I know there are a lot of places that don't have dairy shows at all. I do wish that goats would be as big a hit as cattle, but it just doesn't seem to be a big interest. :shrug: Wish I could help...I bet someone on here will be able to though. :wink:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    its the exact opposite here..not many people are knowledgeable about meat goats..but plenty of dairy.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Around here there is plenty of both. We haven't had any LaManchas, not too many Toggs, no Nigerians (aren't even an option), no Fainters, no Angoras...no Cashmere.
    Pygmies have had a boost in popularity. I think that someone said that there were over 250 pygmies? IDK..

But I would say don't give up because at one time there were no pygmies at our fair. And within a decade they shot up in popluation.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what would you like to know? start asking questions and I will be willing to aid you with information.

Are you trying to do like a 4H show I assume? I assume you already have a 4H group if so. Some places if there arent a lot of one breed they will show them all together as one "dairy" so you dont have to have separate classes for them. But that makes it hard on the little nigerians to compete against the big standards btu it can be done, just a little disadvantage.

I would first find out if there are a couple kids interested in breeding dairy and if petition the county fair to put in a spot for dairy goats. Then you will need to promote it by talking to those who have goats and those who buy from you so that they all become a part of it. If you have a large turn out the first year they may automatically add it the following year.

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    If I may please be allowed to offer a suggestion? I am in the market goat breeding thing here in Texas. We raise Boers, and are very involved in the county fair association. What I'm suggesting is to approach the fair board and to ask them if you and some fellow dairy goat folks can bring in a few animals and pen them up seperate but nearby and have them there as a demonstration thing to help increase the public awareness of what dairy goats are all about. Cite the healthy aspects such as no problems like lactose intolerance of goats milk and cheese and other products such as soaps and such. Maybe offer some literature about dairy goats and the way they are raised. We pay a $25 booth fee to set up our table with info and pictures about the Freestone Co. Goat Breeders Assn. at our fair in the arts & crafts demonstration building. As long as you aren't selling anything, they shouldn't charge you a vendors fee.
    Just my suggestion to help get your dairy goat show thing started. Try to get the county agent's support with this also.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sort of the same situation here, the county I live in has a limited 4H group, most are to the north of me and up til 2 years ago, those county fairs wouldn't recognize the Nigies as dairy, they were classified as " companion or meat breed". :(

You would not believe the number of kids with nigies shown as pygmy's, around here only the large breeds can produce milk!

9. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Have you talked to the ADGA? They have videos that you can rent from them for 30 days. They have all different ones and it's $5.00 to rent for 30 days. They have one that teaches dairy goat showmanship and another one that teaches you how to fit dairy goats for show as well as a few other training videos. We rented them when we first got into goats and they really did help A LOT. Just an idea :)

10. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Videos - great idea! I will certainly try that.

The frustration doesn't stem from the fact that the county fair doesn't have a dairy class (they don't even show livestock!!!!) - but that I expected more from the FFA & 4-H leaders, as well as the county extension agent - who are supposed to be mentors to our kids. I don't really have any specific questions that need answered, I would just like to tell them - hey, I found someone willing to talk dairy to these kids, and I need a place and time. I've been through the ADGA and AGS sites and looked for a memeber in our area...no luck there either. Dairy isn't that popular here...although there is some interest in it. Education and exposure...that's what we need.

11. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am thinking of letting my Faith (9 yo dd) take a goat project next year, as she really loves the goats :) But our county (Wood County) is very similar to your situation, it seems. The lady I bought the goats from is actually in our 4H group, and has been telling me the rules, and she seems to think only meat goats can be taken as a project?! This bugs me just a bit, as I would like to get into the dairy end of it a little more than the meat end...

If I ever find out any more info, I will definitely share it. I just wanted to comment because it seems odd to me too about this meat goat only thing for 4H here...

12. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I was in Wood Co. last weekend! Dairy goats is a valid 4-H project. The first book is called 'Getting your goat'. You can do it like we did - pretty much on your own - and you don't have to sell your goat at a show. They can't keep you from doing dairy, but you my have limited support and resources. Let me know if I can help with anything...I'd be happy to try.

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    So you were in my neck of the woods? ;) I wish I would have known! I would have invited ya over! :) What was ya doing over here? (I am nosy, you don't hafta tell me anything! haha)

I will check into it. As a matter of fact I think I will make some calls right now and see what I find out. Thanks for your offer of help! I may need it! lol

14. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Actually I was at a soccer tournament with my son, and I also picked up 4 nigi babies that I bought from a breeder there. She has 2 adult does and 1 buck (nice, gentle and good milking lines) for sale still...let me know if you would be interested and I can put you in touch with her.

What did you find out about the dairy issue??

15. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I don't know what nigi means, but I don't have space for anymore goaties just yet! LOL

Well. The guy I talked to was fairly vague. He did say I could do dairy, but didn't seem to want to talk about it much. He said we should prolly do a "breeder's project" instead of the normal "market project" .... I don't get it? What is wrong with doing a dairy project?

Anyhow, not much info, but he did tell me they are doing a special goat thing on Saturday after horse camp, so we may take Faithy and little Bella down to it and see what goes on :)

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    As I reccomended, line up a demonstration at the Fair and drum up some support and public interest. Try real hard to get someone with some pull to get behind you and give some push to what you are wanting to achieve.