The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a pasture of 9 retired show wethers. This morning I noticed ones left hip was swollen and he has an old cut on it. He didnt want me touching it but its scabbed and the hair is already growing back over. Should I worry about it or give any meds? Also about 4 of the boys have scruffy hair but the rest are totally fine. Does this mean they are copper deficient?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have a pasture of 9 retired show wethers. This morning I noticed ones left hip was swollen and he has an old cut on it. He didnt want me touching it but its scabbed and the hair is already growing back over. Should I worry about it or give any meds? Also about 4 of the boys have scruffy hair but the rest are totally fine. Does this mean they are copper deficient?

He could be sore/swollen from getting banged on by one of the other goats, etc., or he could have some infection going on from the cut. Use your judgement- if there is any heat in that area, or if it feels "squishy" and swollen around the wound then it's possible he has some infection. You can treat it without draining it (oxytet is always an old reliable standby), but I personally would be tempted to break the scab open see what's in there. I'm one of those weirdos who gets a certain satisfaction out of dealing with oozing, puss-y, nasty things though. The picture you sent looks more like a healing cut than an abscess, so most likely you don't need to go exploring and it will resolve on it's own.

If you do open the wound up I would try to clip the hair in that area if it's particularly long (just to keep it from irritating the open wound), and then flush it with iodine or a weak chorahexadine solution after you've got all the junk out- you might need to repeat that process a couple of times a day for the next few days. You can give him a cc or so of banamine for the pain if you have it on hand, but as long as he's still up and eating he's probably going to be just fine. :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks :) we had a dog dig under the fence and they were all attacked. I just gave them iodine baths and they did fine! What about the scruffy coats?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
A tetanus antitoxin shot wouldnt hurt either...Look slike a nasty gash...I would keep an eye on it to be sure infection doesnt set in...taking his temp would be good too..

as for scruffy hair...could be worms or copper.. Check his lower inner eye lids for color..should be bright pink to red...Have a fecal done to comfirm and ID any worms he may have so you can treat accordingly...
here is alink to see what Copper defeciency looks like...
http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html
You look for fish tail, color fading, poor condition, course hair....mauch of these can also be Worm issue..so checking for both is important...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do give them a mineral as a top dress with the grain they get every 3 days. Someone on another site told me not to leave minerals out for the wethers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Actually, they need it daily just like everyone else. It is fine to leave it out for them. That is a good mineral.

·
1,524 Posts
Wethers need loose minerals as much as any other goats. I believe the mannapro contains Ammonium Chloride, which will help make the urine acidic to help prevent UC.

Why grain every 3 days? If its to give them minerals, just put out the loose minerals free choice and stop feeding the grain. Grain every 3rd day isn't really going to do much for the goats in the long run.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay it does have ac in it. I will start leaving the minerals out. So they don't need grain at all?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Wethers dont really need grain unless they are thin...Quality grass and alfalfa and graze is a perfect diet along with the loose minerals free choice...What you do not want to leave free choice for bucks is baking soda...;)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
we are all learning new things every day :D its a journey for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts