Featured Advice on Body Condition for Breeding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MellonFriend, May 21, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I was planning to breed my doe Bella at the end of the month, but since her winter coat shed out completely I thought she might be looking a little thin. I read that a good body score for breeding is between 2.5 and 4. I think she's probably a strong 2.5 maybe 2.75 ( I know body score only works in halves). I feel like she doesn't have quite as much meat on her as she did at the start of winter. Their pasture has been eaten down a lot and I think this is contributing to her loss in condition. I also changed up my feeding regimen and I think that might have had an affect too. Do you think she looks too thin to breed? IMG_5730.JPG IMG_5735.JPG IMG_5726.JPG
    I can feel her ribs, but not press my fingers in between them very much at all. Her spinous process is palpable, but not visible. I can get my hand around the transverse process easily. Fat deposit at her brisket is not what it once was with her, I can't feel much at all.

She is a kinder doe. I know many of you don't have any experience with them.

She just got a clean fecal and I gave her a copper bolus yesterday so if you're seeing rustiness, its already being taken care of. She's also on monthly replamin.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She doesn't look bad to me other than the fishtail.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.

3. MellonFriend

I guess my question is, can I breed her at a body score of 2.5 since that is on the cusp of being too thin to breed? During her pregnancy will she loose condition? And then if I need to give her more grain will she just put it into making big babies, which I don't want?

4. ksalvagno

She looks fine to breed.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is just fine for breeding.

She needs cooper though.

6. MellonFriend

I gave her copper a day before I posted this.;)

Moers kiko boars and ksalvagno like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. MellonFriend

So while she's bred how should I be feeding her grain wise? I upped her grain to 3/4 cups of blue seal caprine challenger and 3/4 cups of alfalfa pellets from half a cup of each daily sice I thought she was looking thinner. Should I continue with this higher amount of grain throughout the beginning of her pregnancy or should I back off? This is her first time (and mine) so I am worried about big babies.

9. MellonFriend

I don't mean to be a bother, but-- Bump.

10. ksalvagno

11. MellonFriend

A 1/4 cup of blue seal caprine challenger and a 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets in the morning and a 1/2 a cup of each at night along with two tablespoons of BOSS. So actually I miscalculated before, that's a cup and a half daily. Sorry about that confusion.

12. ksalvagno