The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to breed my doe Bella at the end of the month, but since her winter coat shed out completely I thought she might be looking a little thin. I read that a good body score for breeding is between 2.5 and 4. I think she's probably a strong 2.5 maybe 2.75 ( I know body score only works in halves). I feel like she doesn't have quite as much meat on her as she did at the start of winter. Their pasture has been eaten down a lot and I think this is contributing to her loss in condition. I also changed up my feeding regimen and I think that might have had an affect too. Do you think she looks too thin to breed?
Goat Working animal Plant Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope
Terrestrial animal Tail Soil Road surface Natural material
Fence Goat Terrestrial animal Working animal Wire fencing

I can feel her ribs, but not press my fingers in between them very much at all. Her spinous process is palpable, but not visible. I can get my hand around the transverse process easily. Fat deposit at her brisket is not what it once was with her, I can't feel much at all.

She is a kinder doe. I know many of you don't have any experience with them.

She just got a clean fecal and I gave her a copper bolus yesterday so if you're seeing rustiness, its already being taken care of. She's also on monthly replamin.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question is, can I breed her at a body score of 2.5 since that is on the cusp of being too thin to breed? During her pregnancy will she loose condition? And then if I need to give her more grain will she just put it into making big babies, which I don't want?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So while she's bred how should I be feeding her grain wise? I upped her grain to 3/4 cups of blue seal caprine challenger and 3/4 cups of alfalfa pellets from half a cup of each daily sice I thought she was looking thinner. Should I continue with this higher amount of grain throughout the beginning of her pregnancy or should I back off? This is her first time (and mine) so I am worried about big babies.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 1/4 cup of blue seal caprine challenger and a 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets in the morning and a 1/2 a cup of each at night along with two tablespoons of BOSS. So actually I miscalculated before, that's a cup and a half daily. Sorry about that confusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts