advice on breeding fees

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok I have already started leasing out my bucks for outside breeding. Right now the 3 that I have in to be bred, we made a trade, they do not want the babies, I do, so no fees needed even trade.

But I did have a lady call and ask what I would charge for her to bring a doe to me. I have not a clue, my boys are nice but not registered, I have never done this and everyone that I talk to has registered boers, so they charge $150.00 buck fee and $2 a day doe care.

I know that is to high, I was thinking that $50 buck fee and something like .75 or $1 a day doe care. Is this a fair price?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends on what the people want to do with their does. Since I have registered bucks I have a registered price and then for those who dont have registered does the cost its half.

So my friend's buck is 50.00 registered 25.00 non registered and 5.00 off for 4H
    my bucks are 30.00 registered (they are unproven yet) 15.00 non registered 5.00 off for 4H

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks Stacey, that means that my $50.00 price for my unregistered bucks is to high. What do you charge for doe care per day?

This lady is wanting a few babies for pets and thats all. Her doe is unregistered as well.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well the price is dependant on what the going rate is. I was just giving you an example. I personally with an unregistered doe would find it hard to pay 50.00 just to get her bred when I cant get much more then 150.00 for a doeling and maybe 75.00-100.00 for a buckling/wether

As to what to charge per day - it depends on you btu I see 1.00 -2.00 as an average cost

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I know very little about this, but just thought I would share that a woman about ten miles away from me charges $15 for an unregistered doe to be bred to her registered buck. It is, however, a "driveway breeding" which I would imagine would be less successful since I'd need to get my doe to her at just the right time.

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I would be keeping the doe in with the buck for 45 days, just as I do for my does. That means she has to be fed, wormed and feet trimmed in this time. Which is what the doe care fee would cover, as for the buck fee, I believe that I will start off at $25.00 and see what happens.

7. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    As someone with unregistered does, $25 sounds VERY fair to me as a breeding fee with, of course, a doe fee/day added on top of that. Good luck :)

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With un registered pets, buck fees here are $25 regarless of wether he's registered as both have proven themselves extensively to the quality of their kids and $1.00 per day for doe care......or the cost of the hay/feed they require during the stay.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Everyone I asked wanted $50 for an unregistered buck to breed my doe. If it was registered, they wanted $100. Hope that helps!

Dayna

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I rarely breed my bucks to outside does, not worth the fifty or seventy five dollars of possibly passing disease. when i do stud out my bucks i charge seventy five and fifty for 4-h. Also i do give a multiple doe discount. I dont board, but i know peoplw around here charge one to two dollars a day.
    beth

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    For my MGR bucks I charge $150. for reg. kids. 3 or more does discounted to $100. Also discount on yearling does.
    For commercial does I charge $75 to have my buck cover up to 10 does.

For my MSFGA bucks I charge $200 for reg or unreg does.

All does brought to my bucks must pass a visual inspection and be tested for CAE, CL and Johnes.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    When I used to have unregistered goats I charged $50 per doe. I don't do stud service now with my registered nigerians, but if I were to it would be around $125-150. Oh, and the $50 I used to charge included a one week stay...no boarding fees, but if they didn't get bred that week then I would charge more to keep them longer.

13. I can only tell you what was done for me. I have an unreg niggi doe that I wanted bred to unreg niggi buck. She after having run tests, let me bring my doe to her, and kept her for a week. I took 1/2 bale of hay. She is charging me $25.00 as soon as a live kid hits the ground.
    Just wanted to update you, Eva didn't take so I found another buck. He is registered. This gal is charging me $ 40.00 for the breeding and letting Eva stay from Nov. 8th through thanksgiving, with no extra charge for boarding. :leap: