The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am hoping to strengthen our herd by purchasing a buckling from Aubrey's Acres, they are well renown and highly recommended. I have told them what we are looking for in a buck and have listed our weaknesses. We are lacking in Rumps LOL, briskets, and a level top line. Also our udders could use better connection and a rounder arch. We have been recommended a buckling from these parents:

Aubreys Acres Phantom VEE 90 - Pedigree

Dragonfly SOL Bethany +VVV 86 - Pedigree
She is listed on the Senior does page.

I am trying to get better at seeing a goat through LA scores and using it put strength to where we are lacking. None of my goats have been appraised yet. Hoping this summer we will get them done :)

I do like the pair for sure. I just really want to get outside thoughts before I make a plunge. I might buy a doeling out of one (or 2 if I wait on the buckling) of their FFs as well. I love Aubreys Acres Light My Phire, Aubreys Acres Bluebell and Aubreys Acres Twizzler.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My brain says maybe I should wait as she usually sells adult bucks in the fall and I wouldn't be breeding anyone til then anyway and then its not so much of a gamble on what I am getting. But my heart says "GOATS"....

·
Registered
435 Posts
So I am hoping to strengthen our herd by purchasing a buckling from Aubrey's Acres, they are well renown and highly recommended. I have told them what we are looking for in a buck and have listed our weaknesses. We are lacking in Rumps LOL, briskets, and a level top line. Also our udders could use better connection and a rounder arch. We have been recommended a buckling from these parents:

Aubreys Acres Phantom VEE 90 - Pedigree

Dragonfly SOL Bethany +VVV 86 - Pedigree
She is listed on the Senior does page.

I am trying to get better at seeing a goat through LA scores and using it put strength to where we are lacking. None of my goats have been appraised yet. Hoping this summer we will get them done :)

I do like the pair for sure. I just really want to get outside thoughts before I make a plunge. I might buy a doeling out of one (or 2 if I wait on the buckling) of their FFs as well. I love Aubreys Acres Light My Phire, Aubreys Acres Bluebell and Aubreys Acres Twizzler.

What do you guys think?
Go for it!! That's a great match!! You cannot go wrong with a buck kid from those two!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I think both could def improve what you want based on LA scores. They both look very nice as well. You could wait and get info on the older bucks that she'll be selling and see which they'd recommend for the improvements you want.

I like Twizzler a lot. She has a wonderful topline and is long fro hips to pins. Light My Phire would be my second choice. I like length in hips to pins.

·
Fair-Haven
4,705 Posts
I would try to have a very close relationship with your breeder. Tell her the top couple of improvements you would like to see...... perhaps she would be willing to evaluate and choose a couple for you to select from...

·
Registered
842 Posts
They look like they have some super nice goats! Good luck with your choice, from the photos on their website they all look like high end goats.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@goatblessings I actually did that :) she highly recommended this cross. I asked to be put down for a buckling from Bethany. So very excited! Now just mauling over the girls and the buck crosses for the FF babies.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update :) I have started paying on my buckling. I am so giddy and Nervous!! These are the stats for my potential little man:

Sire: Aubreys Acres Phantom VEE90
Dam: Dragonfly SOL Bethany +VVV86 as a FF!!(polled) (so excited to see how she does this year)
SS: Damascus Road SE Prosperos
SD: CH Aubreys Acres Phire Phebe VEEE90
DS: Algedi Farm MH Solaris +*B
DD: GCH Dragonfly T Ninevah EEVE91 1*D/1*M (polled)
SSS: Camanna GD Moonlight Sentinel *B
SSD: TX Twincreeks P Poise N Ivy
SDS: TX Twincreeks Sem Eagle Eye VEV87 *B
SDD: Aubreys Acres Phire Phly Idol ++VV85
DSS: SG Algedi Farm MB Manuka Honey VVE88 ++*B
DSD: SGCH Rosasharn's TL Zenith EEVE90 3*D/3*M
DDS: GCH Flat Rocks Tuan EEE90 (polled)
DDD: Dragonfly HFX Ishtar ++VV85

I am so excited for these genetics to be introduced into my little herd. He could possibly be polled which is a nice perk as well. Just butterflies over here!

Also I was looking at her FF does due to kid and I requested availability on these sisters who were bred to Phrankenstein. The does are Twizzler and Mistle Toe, both are bred to the same buck and would be related to my buckling so I would likely breed out on this doeling, I just really really love this cross. Here are the Stats:

Sire: Aubreys Acres Phrankenstein (2019 buck so no LA score yet, he has very correct in conformation and has wattles)
Dam: Aubreys Acres Twizzler/MistleToe (Both are FF and are not scored yet)
SS: Aubreys Acres The Grinch +VE86
SD: Aubreys Acres Pheona VVEV89
DS: Aubreys Acres Phantom VEE90
DD: CH Aubreys Acres Turtle Dove V+EV88
SSS: Darla Fayes HSD Snow Storm
SSD: CH The Schifsky's TLC Farm Faith EEEE91
SDS: Aubreys Acres Pistachio VEE87
SDD: Aubreys Acres Pharrah VEEE90
DSS: Damascus Road SE Prosperos
DSD: CH Aubreys Acres Phires Phebe VEEE90
DDS: Darla Fayes HSD Snow Storm
DDD: CH The Schifsky's TLS Farm Snick EEEE91

Both of these young goats are very well conformed and have excellent pedigrees, so I am very hopeful I can get in on a doeling from one of the does.

Here is a stupid question for you guys though. for those of you that have experience with line breeding, granted to want to breed two goats that will strengthen the next generation and avoid any weaknesses especially with related goats, would you even consider breeding these 2 together? Line breeding kind of freaks me out just thinking about it but I know if done properly you can get an amazing outcome. I think for us we will breed to a different stud but I'm always curious to learn more.

The picture are of the other 3 goats for the potential doeling, The shaved doeling is Twizzler, The fluffy black and white is Mistle Toe and the loud colored buckling is Phrankenstein.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think you would be perfectly fine breeding the doeling to the buckling. That is not really close. I frequently bred goats who shared a grandsire or had a common ancestor in the first 3 generations. The potential kid from that breeding would have the same buck as a grand sire on one side and as a great grand sire on the other side. So you're not getting nearly as close as father/daughter or even grandsire/granddaughter. That is a very strong line and it would be a great cross to concentrate those genetics.

When are the does due? That is so exciting!! You are going to get some beautiful little kids!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I have had good results and no issues line breeding one generation (in my case, it was does bred back to their sire, their dam and sire were not related at all, and in this case the sire was the better animal with far superior Boer genetics). The results of that breeding for me were very very good, but I wouldn't breed the resulting kids back to anything related for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the Bucklings dam, she's huge right now!! Watch she kids all does LOL I'd die @Morning Star Farm

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts