The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still learning tons about goats, but I really don't know what to look for in structure. I wanted to get advice on my 3 month old homebred buckling. I'm planning to keep him until fall and breed him to two of my does then sell him. I just wanted to see if he was structurally sound. Sorry they are all of him free stacking and such since I was alone while taking the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personal use dairy. I just don't know if he's worthy of being a buck or not? I'd hate to butcher him because he's a doll and sweet, but I don't want him to end up in a bad situation either. I already have a buck, so I don't need to keep him. I was going to breed him to two of does first in hopes of doelings to use with my other buck.

·
Registered
577 Posts
He looks like a great buck :) The only real flaw I see is that he could be wider(he may get wider with age), but otherwise everything else about him is practically show worthy! He is a very beautiful goat, if it were me, personally, I would keep him :)

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Nope I was going to say he looks great but just needs to be wider, but like it was said he is only 3 months old so he ould still get there.

Do you have a wether in with your buck? If not think about using him. He is so sweet looking, I mean how can you not love that face.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a wether in with my buck. He's just been in an extra horse run and been buddies with my horses. I did build two smaller runs inside there, and I the older buck in one and the buckling in the second one. I've just heard many stories of the older more dominant buck practicing on the smaller ones a ton. I felt bad, so that's why I never bought him a buddy. He's been completely content with the horses, but the buckling is in complete aww of the older buck. They were together while I was building the runs, and he followed the older one the entire time

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I agree with others. He looks good other than the width.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How late can wethering be done? Like can I wait and see how he grows and perhaps produces then decide? He is completely unrelated to my other buck or does (except his sister and mom), so I could use him with daughters from my other buck and vice versa

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
You can use different procedure, yes. For an older buck I think people either cut or have a vasectomy (wouldn't since they can heal and possibly be productive again plus keep the buckyness). I wouldn't wait any longer if I was going to band though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts