The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to copper bolus my goats. I know one breeder I buy from who bravely stuffs the bolus down their throats with her fingers (but that is scary considering how powerful their back molars are).

Another uses a bolus gun (but those things are so hard and stiff) I haven't been comfortable using one of those either.

Another breeder combines the copper filament with peanutbutter and stuffs one of these to the roof of the goats mouth who eventually consumes it.

I am thinking of going the route of the peanut butter.....but wondered what other people do.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I need to copper bolus my goats. I know one breeder I buy from who bravely stuffs the bolus down their throats with her fingers (but that is scary considering how powerful their back molars are).

Another uses a bolus gun (but those things are so hard and stiff) I haven't been comfortable using one of those either.

Another breeder combines the copper filament with peanutbutter and stuffs one of these to the roof of the goats mouth who eventually consumes it.

I am thinking of going the route of the peanut butter.....but wondered what other people do.....

Thanks!
I used a pet piller that had a rubber end on it........it was small, long, and skinny and it worked like a charm. I had no problems with my girls spitting it up since I was able to get it back far enough. I tried the bolus gun and you're right it is too hard and it's difficult to get it far enough back. The pet piller I got from the vet clinic at Petsmart.....it was only $4. The pet piller that Petsmart carried on the shelf I knew wasn't going to work. Good luck!:D

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
there was another thread about copper bolusing, and I used Karen's method just today with any incident, but instead of probios, I put banana in the end:

I cut the tip off of a 3 cc syringe and pour the copper wire particles in there. I dose at 1cc per 60 lbs. Then I put a dab of Probios on the end to hold the rods in. Put the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger and hold their mouth closed.

from this thread:
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/i-need-copper-bullous-but-i-am-nervous-149826/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts