Advice on how to cure a rough coat? *pic*

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, May 30, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    The doe I just bought has a really rough coat. Mine also could also use a little help. Not sure what I can give them to bring back their luster. Giving hay pellets, ram and ewe pellets, lactating goat feed, (all mixed together-they love it) grass hay, and providing loose minerals, both types of salt licks, baking soda, and they are all on pasture. Not sure what could be missing in my goats.

But whatever can help mine is sure to help this new doe as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: Advice on how to cure a rough coat?

I would get rid of the salt licks...if they use a salt lick they will probably not eat enough of the minerals. Mineral mixes usually have plently of salt in them and if they are getting the salt they need somewhere else then they won't eat the minerals.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

get a fecal ...may have worms or cocci....

How are the gums/eye coloring?

treat for lice.....

copper deficency... any fish tail look..? give Copper Bolus

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

Pam, what is fish tail?

Here is a photo of the coat.

[​IMG]

5. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Here is a link to a really helpful site about copper deficiency in goats and how to treat it. HTH :)

http://u-sayranch.com/main/2010/01/reme ... ure-bolus/

By the picture, I would defiantly say a copper bolus would fix that rough coat problem. I've heard that can be one of the signs of copper deficiency.

6. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    copper deficiency or worms........

7. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

So some people feed ROOT KILLER to their goats?

Somehow that just seems wrong. :shrug:

8. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I know a guy who uses fabric softner for worm treatment and has done so for years. I wouldn't use it but he swears by it.

Edit to add: I would worm them. I had one I brought home who had a really bad coat and after worming her coat took awhile but now it looks good. :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry.. it to so long to answer....at the tail end ...it has an appearance of a fish tail......kinda like a V ...the hair will be missing in between... making it look V....like (fishtail like) ...here is a post with a pic ....hopefull you can see it......in the pic ...the goat has her tail down.. but you can see the V shape there..some can have even less hair...than that... but... you can still make out the V (fishtail).....hope this helps.... :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12408&view=previous

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    So goats that are on a goat feed and get minerals still need to be given extra copper? I thought they should have enough copper in the food... No one around here sells copsure. I don't know about the copper sulfate. I guess I'll check on that when I go through town. :ponder: Do you just let them take what they want or do you measure it per goat?( the blue crystals)

Gina

11. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'm curious why the coat indicates a worm problem?

And I assume you mean internal, not external parasites, yes?

I have a goat who's coat looks similar and to be honest I assumed it was normal for her, but now I am thinking it might be a symptom of worms?

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Here is a photo of her tail. Hopefully it will help.
    She eats the loose minerals like crazy. Poor thing. I think she was neglected. She is boney and ribby, and has greasy, flakey skin. I feel so bad for her.

She is definatley not for the unexperienced goat person. She likes to fly. She can clear a livestock gate no problem. No climb fence, Pththh! She is so springy, she can leap up and change directions in the air. She moves more like a horse with fancy footwork. I have never seen anything like it.

[​IMG]

13. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I can't give the technical reasons lol

but a rough coat seems to indicate worms in a lot of animals eg cats/dogs
    and yes internal parasites

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She should get a good deworming, Valbazen works great and not to costly if you get it from Jeffers. I would also see if you can collect some "goat berries" and send them into the vet, it shouldn't be to much either and they can determine if she has a cocci issue going on as well. ALSO, you probably should give her a BoSe shot and copper bolus. Unless you have recently done that. I have seen a few goats come out of winter like that and it takes some extra stuff to get them in good health. Make sure she has available baking soda, good minerals, quality hay, and fresh water and she should start looking better after a few weeks.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Before you deworm her PLEASE get a fecal on her to see if that is EVEN the problem. Also, what type you would be treating for.

I would say it is a Cooper def. she needs some cooper and a good mineral.

I hate to say it but Deworming is not always the answer. I had several goats that were starting to look a little rough like that, they do NOT have a worm problem at all, but I cooper bolus them and they look GREAT. My goats get a good mineral, but sometimes they just need that extra cooper.

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Where she came from they said the people had no minerals for her, so I know that has to be part of it. Supposedly, she had only water and alfalfa hay.

17. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    These things are tricky.. Rough coats can be mineral deficiencies, internal parasites, external parasites, poor nutrition, gestationally-related.....all kinds of stuff.

Some folks say black oil sunflower seeds make a huge difference, ostensibly because they contain a lot of fat.. So, you feed BOSS and their coat improves...must be the fat, right?

Well, BOSS also contains a lot of selenium! Hmm...

Some folks say it's internal parasites, so they worm...maybe with ivermectin. After worming, the coat improves.. Must have been internal parasites, right?

Well, ivermectin also kills external parasites! Hmm..

Some folks say it's copper deficiency, so they copper bolus and the coat improves.. Must have been copper deficient, right?

Well, copper bolusing also kills barberpole worms! Hmm....

Round and round she goes.. I'd say treat for internal parasites, external parasites, mineral deficiency, and gear nutrition toward coat improvement with supplemental BOSS and make sure she's got access to high quality loose mineral, free choice (and, yeah...ditch the salt); if you're in a selenium deficient area, give Bo-Se; if the goat never had good mineral before, go ahead and copper bolus; if you suspect worms and you gotta worm anyway, do it with ivermectin to get externals too.

Sometimes you just gotta throw a bunch of ...stuff... at the wall and see what sticks.

ETA: most of my herd looks like CRAP right now, despite the fact that they have excellent mineral, are watched closely for internal parasites, etc.. Though I think I may have a little external parasite situation brewing, I can also look at the does who didn't get bred versus the does who did, and the difference is amazing.. I can also look at the jet-black, shiny, smooth-as-silk babies and know that MUCH of the problem stems from mama goats imparting every molecule of fat and mineral they have to ensure their babies come out healthy and hardy.

18. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I have one doe whose coat looks like that at the end of every winter. She isn't copper deficient and doesn't have worms or any other parasites. I used to fret about it, now she gets a spring bath, a nice short summer clip and her hair grows back all nice and glossy. It's not always something wrong. Just saying....

19. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I think you should worm her with Ivermectin as cmjustO said.

Give her lots of loose minerals

Use BOSS

Feed her some grain

She should be back to lookin good in no time. :)

20. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    My goats looked great coming out of winter, but i noticed yesterday their coats looked a bit rough. I have wormed them twice since February (have to check barn calendar to see exact dates) and they get loose minerals -which they have been gobbling down, esp during the past month. (so maybe there is some deficiency)

Is is a pregnancy thing?

Is there anything to give them other than root killer (copper sulfate) or a copper bolus (which i am not comfortable with, since the article indicated it was made for larger animals) - Maybe some kind of liquid?

Is is definitely copper, or maybe something else - would wheat germ oil help?

I am not giving them BOSS. I was for a while in February, but they appeared to avoid them, so i stopped. I can try again. Their tastes are changing as the pregnancy continues. (btdt - had an odd liver craving with one kid - made everyone in my family sick - since then cannot touch the stuff)

They get free choice timothy, fresh grass, Blue Seal Sunshine Plus pellets mixed with goat sweet feed (2:1), goat loose minerals and baking soda free choice - am i forgetting anything?