advice on "off" seeming milk- otherwise normal goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by flyinggoat, May 13, 2009.

1. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Hello all- long time lurker/reader, first time poster, hoping to get some good opinions, advice...

Long story short, I have a nubian doe who is milking on one side (breeder advised me to not milk the other side due to mastitis right after freshening. This didn't occur while she was at my barn, but while breeder still had her. One might ask why did you buy a doe milking on one side- she has had beautiful triplets on every birth, and makes a gallon plus a day even from the one side. )

So I have been milking the one side normally. Last Tuesday, she had a lump in her milk at the start of milking. I squirted it out, and she milked normally- no pain, heat or anything weird, except when I washed out the paper filter, there were tiny spots of blood and some stringiness in the milk. The blood spotting lasted a few days, I kept an eye on her temp, and gave her peppermint oil massage and a squirt of her own milk drench. The blood went away for a couple days, and I kind of assumed that it was from one of the other girls whacking her one in the udder. (I can't believe how rough they all are sometimes!) The stringiness continued, though. When I check the filter, there have been very small, soft almost like cheesy looking strings- maybe about an eighth to quarter teaspoon. I'm not sure if this was there before the blood spots, because I didn't really check the filter that closely... Otherwise, milk is normal. Smells good, tastes good. I asked the breeder about the lump, she said sometimes that happens. Last night, she had another couple tiny blood spots in the milk, and when I just milked her tonight, she had another lump in the beginning.

Any advice or related experiences? :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the lump in the beginning is probably the plug that is created to keep bacteria out of the udder

If she had mastitis and the one side has dried up I would be checking her good side for mastitis with that blood in teh milk thats a sign.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The stringiness is a sign of mastitis ... you can have different levels of severity and they will not always present with a hot/painful udder. If you want to be sure there is a soap test you can use, take 1/2 cup warm fresh milk, and 1/2 cup warm water with a few drops of detergent in it, mix the two together. It it goes slimy and goopy, she has mastitis. If it just looks like thinned out milk then she is fine.

Best to treat her for it ... I'm not entirely sure what the US drugs are but I'm sure someone will jump on here pretty soon and let you know ...

Its not that uncommon, I was going to buy a doe with only one side, because that side milked well and her mother was beautiful (long story but I didnt end up with her) so I see no problem having a doe with only one side :greengrin:

[​IMG] to TGS!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The mastitis treatment is "Today" or "Tomorrow" I always forget which one is for a dry doe and which is for a milking doe :doh:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The one you should be treating her with it Today. Tomorrow is for dry does. ;)

6. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Thank you all so much for your speedy replies. I really appreciate it! I have Today on hand, so I will infuse her. I was thinking I should infuse her, but it's so mild, I wasn't sure if I was just paranoid.... I'm a worrier about my animals, that's for sure... But I'd definitely rather dump her milk for a few days than have her udder damaged.

Thank you thank you thank you!

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    sounds great :greengrin:

And I think we are all 'worriers' when it comes to our goaties ... nothing wrong with that! :)

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you infuse her dont let her kids nurse her for twelve hours, otherwise they will just suck the medicine back out.
    beth

9. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    The label says to withhold milk for 96 hours? I've been dumping the milk... Is that just for human consumption?

We bottle feed the kids anyway, and have just been cutting the goat milk in the 'fridge 50/50 with whole cow milk to last for the 96 hours. Plus another doe kicks in a little... not as much as this one though!

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You should be able to feed the kids the milk. they mean for human consumption.

11. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    So it's been 36 hours since last infusion. I did 1/2 the syringe, then milked out, and did the other half 12 hours later.

She's still acting completely normal, even a little friskier than usual. (At the breeder, she was part of a much larger herd, and she was kind of pushed around. Since we've had her, she's put on weight, and started to act a little bit more sassy. :) )

There are still some tiny lumps in her milk. Like the largest one is maybe 1/8". And some teeny blood spots on the filter- maybe the size of a period- "." Should I expect it to take the withholding time for the milk to be normal? because there's still antibiotic in there, right? Should I treat her systemically? I do have penicillin and biomycin on hand... but I hate to jump right to antibiotics....

We were wondering if there's strain on this side of her udder because the other one isn't milking? I won't know until next year what her normal milk output is, but maybe someone else will know- Does a doe "want" to give the same amount of milk whether just one side or both are milking? Also along this line- the breeder advised me to not milk the dry side out, but since we've had her, that side has noticeably enlarged. It's not as big as the milk side, but it feels like there's stuff in there. the breeder told me to not milk it out, because the infusion she put in there should stay... would it not get absorbed? it's been a month and a half or so...

thank you all so much for your input- I'm glad there are such friendly helpful goat moms and dads out in the interwebs. :)

12. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    When we had a doe with mastitis we milked out both sides 2x a day. Sometimes the affected side we milked more. We put today(full tube) in 2x a day Find out what was put into the other side. Without it being milked the bacteria just sits there. You can milk the other side but be sure to put the today in 2x a day. and massage her udder to get it empty. You can usually save that half of the udder or at least most of it with aggressive treatment. It sounds like she has mastitis in both sides. If the one is filling in milk it and add the today. Good Luck. BTW we usually do a round of antibiotics with it-excenel.

13. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    so should I keep infusing her until the symptoms are gone?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    For a Nubian I would be giving a full tube of today. I think you should keep infusing her like harmonygoats said.

15. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    okay-

I looked back at an email from the breeder (had completely forgotten I had this in there) she had forwarded me from the culture place where they tested the sample from the side of her udder that we have not been milking. the bacteria was a klebsiella one. nasty thing from my reading online...

if she has the same thing in her side that has been fine up till now, the report says it's sensitive to tetracycline- biomycin is oxytetracycline- same thing or close enough? I don't know if anyone else looks at fiasco farm website, but she says that biomycin should be effective against most mastitis causing bacteria... any opinions? I was thinking I would dose her 3cc once a day for 3 days. sound right? I will tape her for weight, but I think she can't weigh too much more than 120 or so. the report also said that the klebsiella is resistant to penicillin, so that's out... (still assuming this is the same nasty bacteria in both halves of the udder...)

also, fiasco farm says she withholds milk for 12-18 days after biomycin- the label says 96 hours....? I'm assuming I will be fine with the 96 hours because these things undergo pretty rigorous testing, but should I withhold longer?

I will also milk out the other side. the breeder's reasoning on not doing that is that she infused it, and the medicine needs to stay in... which confuses me because whatever she put in there must have long since lost its strength... :shrug:

darn nasty little bacteria!! :veryangry:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Go with what the label says if you feel comfortable doing so, and I agree with milking the previously infected side out, the med will have lost strength, if the Biomycin is advised for that type of "bug" then I would use it.....I've no experience dealing with mastitis Thank God, but I hope to have the info if I need it.

17. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    So I milked out the "dry" side. No milk. About 2-3 cups of tan oily stuff with whiteish lumps. Her milk volume on her "good side" was down. I will infuse her again with Today and give her a shot of biomycin...

argh. feeling very anxious about this!! :cry: :GAAH: :worried:

18. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    sorry for posting so much. just wanted to say thanks for all of the support and advice.

I infused her milk side with a full tube of today, the dry side with a full tube of tomorrow, and gave her 3.5cc of biomycin. temp 102.8, despite the stress of all this stuff being done to her! she's such a good girl...

now I will just obsessively check on her till bedtime...

thank you all again. you guys are pretty awesome. :hug:

19. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Use the biomycin it will help, I would do it for 5 days. We usually milk out both sides 2x a day. Put a full tube of today in each side 2x a day for 5 days. Be sure to use the alcohol pads that come with it to wipe the end of the teat first. You want to be sure the teat is clean so you don't introduce more bacteria. Without milking out the other side it probably won't come back and there is a possibility she freshens with it again next year. One doe we bought freshened with it on one side, we did the today and antiobiotics and saved about 80 percent of that side. She milks really well but is still lopsided but we still show her because it isn't too bad. Good luck.

20. flyinggoat

flyinggoat New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    so I have been infusing her with today on her milking side. and giving 3.5cc of biomycin 1x a day for the past two days since I posted it. I have run out of the tubes, so I can't do another one this morning... the grain store was closed yesterday. I will pick up more today.

should I be seeing something change?! She still is having small lumps in the milk. no blood this morning. but oily stuff, that I kind of figured was something from the infusion. still normal temp and normal eating, pooping, etc.
    :sigh: :worried: :cry: :(

I will call the vet today. cats and stuff need rabies anyway, and my little dog started limping around yesterday! :GAAH: I look forward to the time in a few weeks when I can look back and go "yeah- that was sucky and stressful, but everything's ok now."