Advice on picking out a good one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KLSpoultry, Mar 13, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I'm planning on taking Lipstick to a sale on the 29th. She's just been a thorn in my side since I got her. I'm hoping to get a new goat at the sale to replace her. I'm looking for a doe that I will breed if needed and milk after she kids. Big or little, horns or no horns, doesn't matter. I just want a nice, quiet doe who actually likes being around me. How can I pick out a good one? What are some things to look for?

Also, would I be better off selling Lipstick before the sale or at the sale?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i would really try to not buy or sell at sale, most of the time you dont know where they came from, diseases, inbred, and you dont know where yours will end up.

I'd try to sell her on craigslist or contact other people who are interested in livestock.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Katrina....sales are where alot of people get rid of there problems .. and I would hate for you.. to get a doe.. that may have a history of mastitis or CAE ect.....it would kill the idea of good milk and disease free animals....It is a big risk...... :hug:

Getting one from a good private breeder ...would be a better bet.....and you are able to see if they have nice dispositions or calm around... and love people..... :)

privately sale the other doe first or you can sell her at the sale ...if you wish...but you may not get as much for her....it is a tough market right now... that is for sure......... :hug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, what kind of sale are you talking about? Sale barn?
    The reason I ask is there is a very large goat sale going on not far from me. It is a HUGE goat sale but it is only for goats. The reason they do this is to help sell the some of the herd , babies or whatever. Some do it to try to get more 4Hers in. It is a sale but it is going to have some really nice goats, and of course there will be some that are not so nice, lets face it we all have those.

I am sorry you are having trouble with Lipstick. I remember you talking about her, just make sure that she goes to a place that has other goats. Maybe you could trade her? Just a thought.

I do agree with the others, if it is a sale barn I would not do it either.

If you are not looking for anything particular, then find one that just loves on you, find one that takes to you and you take to. You will know her when you see her. It is like one of those "OH I have to have her".

Good luck

5. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I will try to sell her on craigslist, I sold her babies together to a really nice family so I know there are good people out there. I guess I will keep the money I get from selling her and go to the sale with specific thoughts in mind. If I find one I "have to have!!" then i'll get her, but if nothing catches my eye, i'll go without.

what would you suggest for a price for her? she is CAE neg, neg for Brucellosis, neg for EVERYTHING, vaccinated, halter broke, trained to milk and she is in milk currently. I paid $37.50 for her, bred and got $75 for her 2 doelings.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know what the market is like in your area but in ours, a doe like that would sell for at least $100, maybe as high as $150 since she is so healthy and has tested negative.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt ask less then 150 for her if you have the recent test results in hand to prove she is disease free and registered.