The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use nursery calf huts for the goats . They are 8ft in dia. I went by the directions on the 6 in bedding etc but still they were terribly cold.
Has anyone ever used this type of hut? Also has anyone ever used peat moss, straw and shavings combination? If so , what layer is what and how much?
I was considering using pallets than put pieces of left over ply wood on the , and possibly put the done on that but not sure how to keep it from sliding off..........there will be six Nigerians on the small size living in the for the winter, The tiny ones stay in the barn.
Than I could get someone to flip it to clean it or should I clean it at all during the winter and just turn what can over if it is not frozen...............
Is getting very cold and need helpful ideas asap

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
should I clean it at all during the winter and just turn what can over if it is not frozen...............
Is getting very cold and need helpful ideas asap
I don't clean my sheds from late fall until the spring thaw. I just put down some lime or PDZ and add more straw/old hay. The manure and bedding will put off heat as they decompose and help keep the goats warm.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow wow and more wow!! I guess I have been making myself more work than I need..................really appreciate your advice...........I am a happy camper am going out to put a bale of straw in each hut when my grandson gets here. Am still on hop restriction.:rolleyes: And I can return the peat moss? Wow now I can buy more straw. I noticed someone said straw is $11. a bale. Yipes!!!! Do you have a co op in your area? Should be cheaper there. I paid $7 and pay $3 for first cut hay that smells like fresh green tea , he loads and unloads it too

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow wow and more wow!! I guess I have been making myself more work than I need..................really appreciate your advice...........I am a happy camper am going out to put a bale of straw in each hut when my grandson gets here. Am still on hop restriction.:rolleyes: And I can return the peat moss? Wow now I can buy more straw. I noticed someone said straw is $11. a bale. Yipes!!!! Do you have a co op in your area? Should be cheaper there. I paid $7 and pay $3 for first cut hay that smells like fresh green tea , he loads and unloads it too
$3 for a bale of hay (how many do you buy to get that price?!) Its at least $15 here....(I only buy a couple bales at a time)....
At least straw I can get for $6.99....

Also when people say put pallets down, can I just pack them thickly with straw or do I have to lay a sheet of ply wood over the gaps....?

·
Registered
47 Posts
$3 for a bale of hay (how many do you buy to get that price?!) Its at least $15 here....(I only buy a couple bales at a time).... At least straw I can get for $6.99.... Also when people say put pallets down, can I just pack them thickly with straw or do I have to lay a sheet of ply wood over the gaps....?
Wow!
I'm paying $3 a bale for first cut, $5/2nd cut. My ND love it! I only grab 1-2 bales at a time. If I choose to grab loose stuff, he doesn't even charge me! It's my neighbor and they are fantastic people...original settlers here in my town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts