The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start off with my current situation.
I have 4 does. 3 of which are registered. I have no land at my house.
I keep 2 (sabrina & sophya) at a guy named Mr.Doyle's house with his 50? (Only god knows how many lol) goats.
I keep them there for free. But I DO help him out with things. When an animal gets sick I usually have good advice for him. I move animals all the time. Help him fix/extend the fence.
Things like that.
Well, we all know, two does ESPECIALLY for a show girl ;) , is not enough. So I got two other registered does. (Cricket & phoebe)
I had somewhere to keep them but now I don't. Something happened & there is no more room for other goats.
I can not put them at mr.doyle's. I'm actually thinking about (if I find a place) taking the two I have there & putting them with my other two.
I have phoebe at my house & cricket is at a breeder's getting bred. She is due to come home the 27th.

My dad had some land in the same city I am living in, but I have some problems with that.
It's not completely fenced, id have to put up a barn and the whole works, plus there are possibly bears down there that I worry about..
Me & my dad are not on good terms, speaking but it's a "I'm going to be nice but I truly do not like you" kind of relationship. I hate asking him for anything but, gotta do what you gotta do right?:/ do I HAVE to though? (This is where "pep talk" comes in to play)

If I did get to put up a barn down there & use the land, I think I would lock them in the barn at night so they're safe. Maybe leave school at lunch, let them out (because school starts at 7 so id be letting them out at dark still if I let them out before school) and put them back in just before dark at night?
Then maybe eventually get a LGD?
Also, it would be really good because then I could get my own buck & maybe a few more does.

I don't know of this is a good idea. I really don't know what to do.
Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I think you would be better off to board the goats. There are too many worries if they are somewhere that someone isn't around. So there is no way Mr Doyle can board the other 2 for you? Even for a fee?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you would be better off to board the goats. There are too many worries if they are somewhere that someone isn't around. So there is no way Mr Doyle can board the other 2 for you? Even for a fee?
Well there are neighbors down there that I'm sure wouldn't mind checkin up on them. I've known the neighbors down there since I was 2.
But that's another reason I don't want to ask my dad. I don't want to constantly be worrying.
He wouldn't:/
He is getting pretty old & forgetful.
Plus, my new does are tested & negative. Mr.doyle doesn't test, nor does he care if people test their animals. He just buys them. I want to know for sure my animals aren't going to be getting sick.
That's a reason why I want to take Sabrina & sophya out of mr.doyle's herd.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Hmm, tough call. I think that your dad is being a little.... I dunno the word for it, but he shouldn't ever HATE his own daughter, no matter what. You're his child!
Fencing is not a huge problem. Get some electric fence and put that up. Easy and fairly in-expensive.
For a barn, doesn't have to be huge or fancy. Just enough space for a few does to be locked up at night with a bucket of water. Some 2x4's and plywood would be fine, though it wouldn't look super great.
How much land does he have? Is he allowed to keep livestock on it?
I honestly think this would be the best option for you and your goats :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, tough call. I think that your dad is being a little.... I dunno the word for it, but he shouldn't ever HATE his own daughter, no matter what. You're his child!
Fencing is not a huge problem. Get some electric fence and put that up. Easy and fairly in-expensive.
For a barn, doesn't have to be huge or fancy. Just enough space for a few does to be locked up at night with a bucket of water. Some 2x4's and plywood would be fine, though it wouldn't look super great.
How much land does he have? Is he allowed to keep livestock on it?
I honestly think this would be the best option for you and your goats :)
Well, mom says that he doesn't own it any more so I guess that is out:/ (he put it in my uncle Billy's name. But MAYBE uncle billy will let me put them there?)
Thanks guys!
Should I put an ad on Craigslist? Looking for property relatively close for goats? Should I trust that?:/

I agree, but my dads side of the family is messed up to the extent that if I were to explain even one thing why we hate each other, I'm sure I would be asked to leave the forum. (Nothing that is like needed to be reported or anything, my mom knows it all but profanity & stuff lol)

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Ask your uncle, if you get along with him, it may work out best for you.

If you were to rent another property other than your uncles, that you do not know, what was on it in the past, you may be risking your goats. As some diseases stay in the ground years after. Be sure you know what was on there. If it was sheep or goats, ect. it may be a red flag.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

That problem just popped up in my head! Are there any precautions I could take if it came down to that?
I texted my dad to see if I could put my goats out there. I haven't gotten a response yet but I might call him tomorrow or something.
I wish that we moved at nc D: ughhh.
How do city people live this close to their neighbors?!!?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Debary, Florida.
Oohhhhhhhhh nevermind then! I was gonna say you could keep your girls here but I don't think that would be very convenient!! Lol

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I think it would be good to slow down a bit...this is a big decision and you don't want to rush...ask around..get references...
Things to think about
A Boarding place with a good rep would be a good choice since their would be a body there most the time..Should be clean tested, and shelter and all is in place..
Your Dad/uncle place would take a bit of work not to mention cash, but it would allow more freedom, Preditors are an issue.. not just the four legged kind..
Location..is it safe for you to be there by your self when you are caring for your goats? (sorry, mom of 8, 4 which are girls lol)..
And as mentioned...what was on the land previously? disease is a factor..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it would be good to slow down a bit...this is a big decision and you don't want to rush...ask around..get references...
Things to think about
A Boarding place with a good rep would be a good choice since their would be a body there most the time..Should be clean tested, and shelter and all is in place..
Your Dad/uncle place would take a bit of work not to mention cash, but it would allow more freedom, Preditors are an issue.. not just the four legged kind..
Location..is it safe for you to be there by your self when you are caring for your goats? (sorry, mom of 8, 4 which are girls lol)..
And as mentioned...what was on the land previously? disease is a factor..
I'm trying to think about all this a much as possible. But we do live on like half an acre? I'm not sure the exact amount but my neighbors are 10 ft away & cricket comes home the 27th.. So two goats.. Lol it's only a matter of time I get caught. :/ then I'd have to get rid of my chickens & all..
Right now (and I know it's probably a big no no) I have phoebe on a dog line that I can screw & unscrew out of the ground. I move her all around my yard (in the shade) with her water.

If I do have to board then I will defiantly be questioning EVERYTHING. I care about my girls too much & they're worth too much to loose!<3

It is actually probably more safe down at my dad/uncle's property than it is at my house. :)
The predators could be a problem but if I put them in the field we use to hunt, I'm pretty sure the snakes don't go there.
It could cost a little bit of money but my dad recently bought out a bass pro/ TSC/ gander mtn all in one. He has feed bowls to fencing. Mineral lick holders to sheet metal for roofing.
The manual labor part doesn't matter to me, I'm willing to work as much as I have to & I'm sure a few of my friend would come help.

No livestock has ever been on that piece of land, that I know of. I know that we use to hunt that property for deer & turkey. We had set a few bear traps (getting into our camper that we had there). Got one I believe. Then there were some wild hogs out there. I am almost positive they're gone now too.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you still!:)

That would just be a LITTLE out of my way(; haha.
Thank you for the thought though!!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
SOunds like you have your list of "think abouts" What ever you decide will be just right!!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
One thing I thought about is maybe contacting the AG department at the high school and see if there is anyone there who would board or knows someone.......I boarded my sheep at a local vet clinic when we first moved here also......you could check with a vet too

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll check with some vets.

My high school is tricky & personally, I believe messed up all around..
We aren't allowed to show animals in the name of the school at a certain fair, and I'm the only one fighting for at least FFA being allowed to show.
(There is plenty of land to keep animals on for the high school, IF they allowed it. But they don't allow my school to have them.) :/

I spoke with the president of cattlemen's association ( also family friend) & he is going to keep an eye out.

I REALLY appreciate these ideas:)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ha! I didn't realize you were in high school!! Lol! Ok well the vet might be a good option then......I helped them in exchange for the boarding or maybe they would know someone.......they know everyone :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts