The Goat Spot Forum banner

Advice please! Help!

3K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  ThreeHavens 
#1 ·
Okay, so I put my Nubian/Lamancha girls up for sale, because I feel that I have way too many goats for 1 person to handle. One has had some health issues, but long story short got her looking good and healthy, she's possibly preggo now, as well as her sister.

I contacted the lady who has owned them before to see if she has any interest in them, and yes she does, but this is why I need ADVICE. She reported to me that she has lost 4 does, and a buckling this week because of clostridium type b. I looked that up, and pretty scary stuff... So if she gets my girls, am I sending them to their death? From what I read it's in the ground, and from there it is bacterial and it's kinda like E. coli for humans, kind of but it attacks and then they are gone within hours.... I'm guessing, I need to make other arrangements possibly. Opinions anyone...

#2 ·
I could be wrong but I think there is a vaccine for it. If so I don't really see anyone dumb enough to keep purchasing animals just to watch them die. If your concerned then in a casual conversation ask how she is keeping the other goats she has from getting it. Just kinda play dumb on what it is and just act like you want to learn more about it for your herd just in case.

#9 ·
Any cl perfringens type C&D vaccine protects against type B. I have to wonder about the story CL Perfringens type B is so rare in the USA that it's practically none existent. Are you sure she doesn't have CL Novyi type B? If so Clovectin 8 vaccinates against that.

#10 ·
How does she know its Type B? CD&T does cover B as well, she should vaccinate her herd and booster in 30 days, evenif they already had a shot. Also CD antitoxin will help types C B and D..She should keep it handy in case she sees signs of another sick goat..If she gives the antitoxin for treatment, she will need to re booster the CD&T 10 days later...they concel eachother out..

Per Colorado Serum company
Clostridium perfringens is a spore forming, anaerobic bacteria widely distributed in the soil and the digestive tract of many domestic animals. Six Types (A, B, C, D, E and F) have been identified on the basis of the toxins produced, with Types B, C and D being the most commonly associated with disease in domestic animals. Vaccines and antitoxins that produce protection to Types C (Alpha and Beta toxins) and D (Alpha and Epsilon toxins) will also protect against Type B (Alpha, Beta and Epsilon toxins).

Type B is a highly fatal intoxication of young lambs and is commonly referred to as lamb dysentery. Type B has also been associated with disease in young calves. Type C is associated with hemorrhagic and necrotic enteritis in cattle, sheep, goats and swine. Type D is associated primarily with sheep, less frequently with cattle and goats, and is commonly referred to as "Pulpy kidney disease" or "Overeating disease".

#12 ·
Well, worse yet hers were all vaccinated:( I'm not so sure of this whole situation honestly. Not sure how she knows what it is Happybleats. I'm thinking of treading VERY cautiously. I was excited that a previous owner wanted them back, but now that I look at the whole picture I'm not so sure about it. Remembering that she sold them to begin with because she lost her house/farm etc... now a new herd, and this.... Hmmmm, I dunno. I'm keeping the ad up on Craigslist for now.....

#14 ·
I'm almost 100% certain that it is not cl Perfringens B which is exceeding rare and only affects very young livestock. So, perhaps she wasn't vaccinated for the right thing. These type of diseases do live in the ground, they can happen to anyone. Especially if you live where your land partially floods during the winter.
Hopefully you will find a good home for your girls.

#15 ·
I too agree...sounds like something else is going on..

#17 ·
I'm contemplating just keeping them until after they kid, I really hope they are preggo, that way I can sell them in milk, and get money for the kids too.... If I find out they are not preggo later next month with a blood test, then I will sell them as pets, and brush eaters... The problem is my SMALL barn... I think I have a way do each preggo do gets a pen by them selves with kid or kids.... I think... The others will have to be cooperative though... Selling the bucks after the stud season is over... So that will give me a little room:)

#19 ·
I would not sell to the previous owner. It is way too questionable what is going on. Sounds like you'd be better off putting them in the freezer than suffering at her place.
That is a possibility, they however wouldn't go in my freezer LOL... I'm actually thinking along those lines if they are not preggo, at least I'll know they are not suffering someplace.... I'll be taking blood in Nov. to see if they are bred, if not I do know of a guy who eats anything really, then I will for sure know they won't be suffering...

#20 ·
Well, since I got them this far, I might as well see if they are preggo, and get some kids and milk, if neither of them take this year, I will call my neighbor who has a friend that will then butcher and eat them. That way I know they won't be suffering. If they do take then I might sell them or I might hang into them for a couple years. My add on to the barn will happen spring/summer... Now to find a husband to help me... Any suggestions? LOL:)

#26 ·
What? She still wants them and insists that the clostridium B is not in her soil, but that is what they died from....??? Is that possible? It's not like they can catch it from one another, not from what I've read. I've made my mind up that the girls will not be sold to her. If they cannot get preggo this year, I will sell them to a local guy here to go into his freezer, or I still have them on Craigslist, so something else can possibly come of all this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.