The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First photo is the day it happened. Second is today, a couple weeks after. It is constantly leaking milk keeping it flushed and no infection. I don't want that piece getting ripped off.. Should I snip the protruding piece off, leave it, or take her to the vet? She's about 2 1/2 months bred

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I waited too long thinking it would be okay. I milked her today no infection. Thank God! I'm
Checking around to see what vet will be best. My amazing lg animal vet recently moved *sniff sniff*

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I would have some snip the teat off and sew it up since she has 4 teats. That looks pretty darn terrible... at least no infection.

·
1,172 Posts
OMGoatness. That doesn't look good at all!
Poor baby! :(
I'm inclined to agree with OwnedByTheGoats.
If you would prefer not to go to the Vet, you should be able to fix it yourself. (I think)
Snip a bit off from what's sticking out (not too much), wash VERY thoroughly with disinfectant. If cutting that piece will cause a hole, then sew the piece you snipped first to close the hole with a VERY fine fishing line (make sure to sterilize the line and needle first), Leave the ends of the line a bit longer, so you can find it later to remove it.
Leave the outer wound (skin) open for drainage for about 10 days (the inner part should bond together and heal somewhat at 10 days), but cover the open wound with a bandage to prevent dirt from getting in. After 10 days remove the fishing line that you sewed with, wash thoroughly, and sew up the outside skin.
I would, however, consider putting a draining tube in temporarily (when you sew the outer skin), for draining any potential infection (pus)...
That's what we used to do with deep wounds on dogs where I used to work (like 20 years ago!) LoL, we always put a draining tube in there to avoid complications....

I am so sorry this happened to you...
Good luck, and keep us updated!

·
1,172 Posts
Oh, PS: The best sewing needle to use is a "leather" sewing needle. You should be able to find one at a craft store!
Leather sewing needles have 'filed' tips for easier sewing thru skin...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's only like 1/2 of the tip of the teat. I wish k had someone to help me ): at the time she had twins and would not let me catch her for anything. Now that her buckling is gone I can handle her again

·
Registered
29,898 Posts
IM voteing for a vet as well...you want it to heal functional...

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely. Always have the vet come out and assess the teat, canal, and orifice. Really should never mess with teat structure (damaged) by yourself. Even cattle with stepped teats calls for a vet visit. Milk is important however you look at it, and you really don't want to risk snipping an important internal piece of the canal.

My vote is vet. Absolutely.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My only concern is it has been a few weeks I thought that it was going to be okay but it hasn't healed like I thought it would and although it is a functional 2 x 2 T it's not the main teat

·
2,203 Posts
I still would have the vet's opinion. I've seen a lot of stepped on/sliced/de-sheathed/mammalitis/frostbite/etc teats and what is protruding is internal teat tissue. That is a big concern for me. If you were to snip without thinking (which you obviously are putting a lot of thought, so please no offense) the tissues would sink back into the teat and possibly seal the entire canal off.

That would be terrible! Good luck, and fill us in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts