Advice Please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Candy, May 31, 2008.

1. Candy

Candy New Member

2 weeks ago my doe, Katie gave birth to twins, a buckling and a doeling. The buckling, Pistol Pete was almost twice the size as the doeling. Katie is not a very good 'mom' but, from the first, she favored the buckling. :shrug: We had to hold her to allow the doeling, Painted Lady, to nurse. Katie's one teat appeared to be red and warm and I thought she might have the start of mastitis. Milk was good, no blood or clots, so I milked her out (she wasn't very pleased with that) She did seem to have discomfort when Lady tried to nurse. I gave her some Banamine and started an antibiotic to be safe and brought Lady in and gave her a bottle of warm cows milk. She acted like she was starving and latched right on to the nipple. Katie allows Pete to nurse whenever he wants to but she bucks or kicks Lady away. The only time that Lady nurses is when I hold Katie down. I've been giving her 3 oz every 4 hours and she seemed to be doing well. Today she started with the runs. :sigh: I gave her 2 doses of Pepto today, so far no positive results. I started treating for coxxi yesterday on all 5 of my goats.
    Lady seems to be happy and does run and play but not nearly as active as the 2 bucklings. She seems more fragile and does things at a slower pace. Should I be worried or are the does normally more timid than the bucks?
    I also am giving her .5cc of B complex and Goat Nutra-Drench in her bottles.
    Candy

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    don't know about the Bcomplex but nutri drench has molasses in it which can cause the runs if you give her too much
    someone with more info can jump in here
    tillie gave birth to twins and has always favored one over the other
    i have to hold tillie so angel can get a sip
    angel is about half the size of her sister but she does fine
    i never supplemented and maybe i should have (angel got the runs once really bad for a long time and i gave her bottles then but it was like pulling teeth) but we went out every few hours to hold tillie for her and then dropped down to twice a day
    even now i see tillie hold still for angel all on her own but not very long
    she'll let clover suck forever tho
    good luck and hang in there
    all will be well

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have always heard that when you feed cows milk to put a little (teaspoon-8 oz) Karo Syrup in it. I've always done that and I've never had "runny pooh". Granted I've had limited experience with bottle babies. But, there is something beneficial about Karo, sorry can't remember what exactly it does.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Recently my does have been keeping milk back from me so I had to mix more and more cows milk with the goats milk for Presto. He got the runs - weird colors. So I gave him a whole bottle of goats milk this morning and he drank it all down (previously he would only take maybe 4 ounces when he should be taking 8) I am not watching him for the runs this morning. Oh I also start him on Sulmet for cocci too just in case as i did have case of cocci 2 years ago here.

How much nutri drench are you giving her, are you doing it each feeding? if so I would cut it back to only once a day. To much of a good thing is not good.

If I were you I would just pull Lady and bottle feed. All the switching back and forth from cows milk to goats milk is probably one of the diarreah culprits. Their little bodies can't handle such change all the time.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Candy, I would just keep Lady on the bottle only, and the nutri drench just one time a day. I know it's really difficult for you to do but are you able to get anything out of Katie? If so then keep Lady on her moms milk with the bottle....if not just stay with the cows milk switching back and forth will cause the runs. It's good that you started them on cocci meds as prevention...better safe than sorry.

6. Candy

Candy New Member

OK--total cow's milk it is
    Keep her in with her mom and the rest?
    Nutra-Drench 1 'squirt' 1X a day
    B complex? per day?
    Continue Pepto? For how long?
    My DH, Frank, is so attached to this little one. He had a stroke and is in the begining stages of Alzheimers. This special little 'Lady' is the best thing that has happened to him. He brings her in the house and he feeds her. Every day she seem to get a bit more energetic.

Thanks for your help,
    :grouphug: Candy

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    to much nutra drench will also cause the runs. i agree with the rest that switching back & forth will cause them also. yep i would make her a bottle baby for sure but i am a sucker for bottle babies :shades:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Candy, I think having Lady as a "house/bottle" baby would be great for Frank! As far as the B comlpex I think she's probably had enough for now...so straight cows milk being fed to her as well as the squirt of nutri-drench oncea day should clear her up in no time. If you wish to have her sleep with her mom, just make sure she's being nice to her....Seems as though Katie has already picked her favorite with Pete.

1. All cows milk
    2. Nutri-Drench 1x a day
    3. Pepto for another 2 days
    4. Keep the baby with you, as you wouldn't know if she's catching a suck here or there from mom.
    5. She's probably had enough B complex
    6. Runs should clear up in a day or so of having her system "clear" of the different things she's had.
    7. Make sureshe gives you and Frank a good laugh everyday :hug: