advice please

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by countryboy, Mar 14, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Please tell me what I should do to start milking my nigerian drawf. She had twins on 3-1-09. The twins are on her now. I think that I understand I should wait till the babies are eight weeks old. Then separate them and start milking her. I am honestly lost as to what to do other than to milk her and drink milk. I would be very glad to hear from some PROS or someone more experinced than be.Thanks in advance.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I actually milk my Alpine that freshened 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I would think, even with the twins, you could start milking her once a day - perferably in the morning if you seperate the kids at night.

My Alpine only has 1 functioning teat - her daughter is with her 24/7 and I milk her twice a day - BUT I also keep a close eye on Nova to make sure that she is getting enough.

Put momma up on the milk stand and give her grain and see how she does. Start by milking a bit out - maybe a cup a day and make sure kids can handle it and are getting enough - then start increasing how much you are taking. You want to make sure that her body can handle the extra milk production!

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    My doe has triplets. I kept the kids on her until they were about 4 weeks. Now I separate them at night and milk the doe in the morning. I don't milk her out all the way so that she has milk for the kids. Although I have been told that she will hold back milk for her kids anyway. I am really happy that I did it this way. As my muscles are still developing for milking, if I am really sore one day, I just let the kids at her and more milk for a day.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wait to separate at night until the kids are around 4 weeks old. Then I milk her out completely in the morning, kids are with her til bedtime, around 9 at night....I milk at 4:30 am so I am not getting a 12 hour fill on the doe, but am getting more than enough to fill my milk jug.

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks for ya'll methods. Would love to hear more.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If this is your first time milking a nigi, don't be discouraged by the size of her teats...practice makes perfect when it comes to getting the milk to come out!

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    oh and I just wanted to ad that aiming takes practice. The first time I milked I had milk going everywhere, over my shoulder, on to my other hand, I even hit Dixie in the back of the legs a few times.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I do things similar to others here. Start milking momma when the kids are about three weeks old. Separate babies at night and milk in the morning.