Advice please

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Flojo, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Flojo

Flojo New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    new forest uk
    Hi,

My name is Sue and I have been helping out at a water gardens for a while now, they have a few animals there including two Pigmy goats, I am very concerned about one of them in particular, he is very thin, if he were mine I would of had the vet out, I am trying to persuade the owner to do this but in the mean time I wondered if anyone could give any advice, I will explain how they are kept.

They live in a smallish inclosure ( not too small for two goats ) but it has no decent grass or foraging, they are given a small amount of goat mix a day and hay or straw but one in particular can't seem to manage to eat it ( tooth problem? ) I have asked the owner to let them in with the other goats ( lots of grass etc ) which he has done and I have bought some Alphalfa pellets, since going on the grass I have noticed what looks like cud on the floor just outside their shelter ( can't think what else it could be ) I am very worried about this little goat, please can anyone help or is it a case of needing a vet to check teeth etc...... If he was mine and it were his teeth I would be preparing fine veg and any other foods to help him put on weight but the owner won't do it.

Thank you

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well its a hard thing when they arent your goats.

thin goats usually mean wormy - have they been wormed recently?

Cud on the ground means the goat is actually eating but regurgitating the food - something that goats do and they chew it and then reswollow to digest. But if the cud is being expelled that usually means the goat has a stomach ache.

Straw has no nutritional value -- they need hay or brows.

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Is there any way you can open the goats mouth & check the teeth out? We had one doe last year that dropped weight & then we noticed swelling on her cheek area--we finally pried her mouth open & looked in with a flashlight to find a cracked tooth. We got her to the vet & they pulled the tooth out.
    Worms also came to my mind when I read about him being thin.
    Do they have access to baking soda--they will lick at this to help sooth a stomach ache if that is part of the problem.

4. Flojo

Flojo New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    new forest uk
    Thank you, yes they have been wormed, I nagged the owner into letting me do this a few months ago, it was my first thought too when they were getting thiner, I will try and look in their mouths, I did attempt it once but need someone to hold them while I look! :devilish: Any more ideas welcome, otherwise I will let you know if I have an outcome ( hopefully a positive one!! )

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, I was going to say everything that has been said.

Just so you know, goats eat on average of 5 times a day to keep thieir rumen like Stacey said, straw is bedding NOT food, they need a good grass hay or alfalfa hay. Not everyone has hay out for thier goats at all times, but they need to be able to eat a little when they get hungery.

Right now I feed my goats in the evening, but I have enough out for them that they still have a little left by the time I feed again.

Good luck and God bless you for trying to help this Pygmy out. :leap: :cool:

Also, check the back teeth (be careful, those teeth are very sharp) and make sure there is not a absessed moler.