The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kinder doe due on July 23rd. My kinder buck got to her right when I brought her home in February. (That problem has been solved) What is the best way to dry her up without eliminating her grain, or is milking her out every other day good enough? She's giving less and less, so is that a good sign, and eventually she will be dry?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Just quit milking her. I usually back my does off to milking once a day and when they aren't giving very much milk to make it worthwhile to milk them, I infuse each side with a tube of Tomorrow and quit milking. They don't get any more grain and don't come in on the stand. Check her every day to make sure she isn't over full, if she is tie her to the fence and milk out just enough on each side to relieve her. As long as you keep milking she will keep making milk.

·
Registered
30,236 Posts
if she is a heavy milker I go a little slower..decrease her feed amount and keep her udder comfortable..dont milk her out..
at 2 months bred we begin to dry them up...decreasing feed and milking once a day.. check udder often to be sure sheis not too tight..if so milk just enough to make her comfy...as you decrease the amount you milk..she will decrease the amount she makes...once she is loose at once a day milking go to every other day..keep decreasing until she stay fairly loose then stop...ideally by threemonths bred..but as soon as you can...she needs 2 months to recoupe and give all herself to growing kids..they grow the most the last two months so the demand on her will be greater..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if she is a heavy milker I go a little slower..decrease her feed amount and keep her udder comfortable..dont milk her out..
at 2 months bred we begin to dry them up...decreasing feed and milking once a day.. check udder often to be sure sheis not too tight..if so milk just enough to make her comfy...as you decrease the amount you milk..she will decrease the amount she makes...once she is loose at once a day milking go to every other day..keep decreasing until she stay fairly loose then stop...ideally by threemonths bred..but as soon as you can...she needs 2 months to recoupe and give all herself to growing kids..they grow the most the last two months so the demand on her will be greater..
She isn't a heavy milker at all. I was getting 16 oz once a day, then 12, then 10 and then 6 last night. So I cut her morning grain out this morning, not to her liking, but I have a ton of pasture so I know she won't go hungry. I might just stop the grain all together for a week, and then slowly introduce it once she is completely dried up. One question I have, does a pregnant doe need hay/alfalfa too if I literally have plenty if pasture? My family says no, but I'm thinking at least a little:) Although I spoil them rotten....:)

·
Registered
30,236 Posts
sounds ike she canbe dried up cold turkey no problem : ) I do like to feed mine alfalfa..its good food expecially while pregnant or in milk..but you dont have to feed it...but is a good idea..IMO :D I feed my gals four good size flakes a day..we have about 20 girls munching on it..plus they have coastal at all times...
you can continue to give grain..just a bit less until she is dry...the graze and a bit of alfalfa should be her main food..sounds like you are on top of things : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts