The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 does, 2 kinder, and 2 Nubian Lamancha mixes. 1 kinder and one Nubian Lamancha is due in the next week or two (I think as I had my buck running with my does) My question is how long after they kid can the be bred again? I would like all of my does to kid, March-May June being the latest... Will it be safe to have them bred again late Dec-into January? My goal is to have all 4 milking by June (at least once a day as I'm sharing with the kids for at least 8-12 weeks.. Is this reasonable or will this be too much for the does that are due to kid soon? I will definitely not be running my bucks with my does this season, they are separated...:) If it is too soon I might not breed them at all next season, but do you think if I milked them 2 times a day they would stay in milk?? Is that possible? Also, I might opt not to breed the kinder due to kid soon until the following season because this is her 2nd batch of kids this year, it was an accident she got pregnant so soon again.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
The one who has already kidded twice in a year would be a definite no. People do breed 3 times over a 2 year period but it does wear the doe out quicker. Being in extremely good condition would be very important. If they are thin, then I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone had experience in keeping a doe in milk for 12 months or longer? Is there a trick to it or do you keep milking twice a day, and feed as normal? I would rather continue milking them through breeding season, and just breed the other 2, and when they are in milk and I'm milking them twice a day then I can dry the other 2 off, or if they are still milking well just milk all 4 until breeding season.... Is that a reasonable plan or stupid plan? Is it harmful to the goat to keep them in milk for so long? I just wanna keep them healthy and happy, and do right by them... They are all at a good weight, and good health:)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree about the breeding..I would wait...as for keeping a doe in milk longer depends on both condition and genetics..if you have a great milker then keep feeding her well..milking twice a day.... Keeping her in good condition is important..good quality feed,hay, loose mineral, Copper if needed..vitamins..worms and lice and going into heat will all stress her body and drop milk production....

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I have milked through. A lot depends on the doe. Some naturally start drying up around the 8 or 9 month mark. All you can do is try. Make sure she is getting lots of grain and alfalfa. Keeping her well fed is one element to keeping them in milk. Genetics plays a big role too. But you won't know until you try if they will lactate long or not.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we had a doe that kidded with triplets in october, then our buck got out in november and bred her again. she had quads with no problem!! so i guess the answer is that they would probably be ok to breed in december-january.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My question is how long after they kid can the be bred again?
I only expect my girls to kid once a year. They have to have time to regain body condition before they can be expected to support gestation and lactation. 5 months of gestation, 3 months of lactation, 4 months of rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts