Advice please!

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by janeen128, Feb 27, 2017.

1. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I have 2 Oberhasli kids six weeks old, dam raised unfortunately. I spent time trying to save ones brother who died 2 weeks after birth.... I was going to use the 3 for pack goats.... They are around 40 lbs at 6 weeks so they definitely have the build for packing.... would they be a lost cause for packing? They are not humanized at all, but I've been slowly working with them.... one did let me pet him under the chin tonight which has never happened....

Thought? Advice? Is this a waste of time? I was going to sell them off for meat since it's that time of year that ethnic groups want goat this time of year, but if there is some "hope" then I'm willing to do it, and go back to my original plan for them...

Thank you in advance...

2. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    It helps if all of their grain is hand fed by you. Also, keeping them in a small enclosure keeps them close to you so they can learn that you're safe to be with. If they can avoid you, they will, & progress will be slower. If they seem really afraid of you, kneel down to their height & they won't be so afraid. I have a feral breed & these things seem to help the most. The more time you spend with them, the better it will go. Treats are essential too.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are these your kids or did you get them from somewhere else?

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    It might be a little late to do this, but still worth a shot.

You'll need someone to help.

Anyways, catch them and sit with them/pet them/hold them until they go to sleep. It works wonders.

Do it multiple times, as often/long as you want. The more the better.

Edit - What the heck, I forgot the most important part :hammer:

At night, when they're sleepy. Duh. :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

These are my kids that were born on my farm...

6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    They are by no means a lost cause if you're willing and able to put in some time. This can be a great task to set your human kids to if you don't have time yourself. My first packgoat (and he was AWESOME at packing!) was completely untouched until I got him at 8 weeks old. He was absolutely terrified of people. I had to leave a 20-foot catch rope around his neck for several days so I could get hold of him at all. Yes, it was dangerous for him and it worried me to no end, but there was no other way for me to grab him even in a horse stall. Within 3 days I was able to shorten the catch rope to about 18 inches, and I left that on him for about 2-3 weeks until he was gentle and trusting enough to let me catch him without it. It wasn't long before he was following me everywhere.

Your babies will come round pretty quickly if you sit down with them in the pen and feed them by hand. Let them climb on you, nibble you, and discover how much fun you are to play with. Spend time holding them in your lap (be careful and wear sunglasses if they have horns!). Don't let them go while they're squirming. I like the idea of waiting until they fall asleep in your lap, but that can take a long time. You can also just hold them until they relax and start chewing cud or nibbling curiously at you. Three short sessions/day is better than one long one.

Your boys should either be kept separate from the rest of the herd or kept with goats that are super friendly and will be a good example to them, and who will allow them to "share" you instead of butting them away when they try to approach. Once they learn to trust you, start taking them for walks so they learn how much fun it is to go out with you and so they start looking to you as the herd leader. They're still plenty young enough to come round. All my packgoats are dam-raised but socialized from the time they're born. However six weeks isn't too old to make up for lost time in my opinion. Good luck!

7. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Thank you all for the advice... I don't have human kids to help with this project, so it's pretty much just me.... One decided he was going to nibble on my hand today...., so some progress is already being made.... My goal in the next day or so is to get the "feed" side of the barn ready for all my boys.... There is no feed except the cats food over there, and I moved my milk stand out to a shelter Logic shed, so I was going to make that their space.... I have 2 sheep and 2 goats all about 9 mo old that are very friendly, and then my 4 bottle kids now that look at me as mom. So they will all be together in there, so the girls can have their own space.... so since I have kept them with the bottle kids at night, they will be joining the friendly boys club at night.... So this should neat... I will work with them

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Let me know when you're ready to take them out. We can meet somewhere and Jax can show them some trail wisdom.

9. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

Will do! Thanks Jill