The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving Thursday for a ten day trip. My helper will be feeding and watering everybody. This morning I have a 4 year old Nannie that actually came off feed last night and would not eat this morning. My helper gives no medicine of any kind. This goats eye color is not the best in the world and has been treated for everything, Cocci, BP worms, given vitamins and replamin . She also the one with earlier posts about CL. Lumps have not changed in last 3 months and where I shaved hair off has grown back over lump completely. In fact if you don’t know it’s there, you can’t see it. I don’t not have probiotics on hand today. Could I give a human probiotic capsule to her this evening, it is the regular 4 million strength capsule. I have been feeding her 2 cloves of garlic a day for a while now and greens leaves (oak) daily. Just wNt her to be as healthy as can be while I gone. I never realized how you would worry about them when I leave because nothing will be done but feed and water until I get back.

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I am leaving Thursday for a ten day trip. My helper will be feeding and watering everybody. This morning I have a 4 year old Nannie that actually came off feed last night and would not eat this morning. My helper gives no medicine of any kind. This goats eye color is not the best in the world and has been treated for everything, Cocci, BP worms, given vitamins and replamin . She also the one with earlier posts about CL. Lumps have not changed in last 3 months and where I shaved hair off has grown back over lump completely. In fact if you don't know it's there, you can't see it. I don't not have probiotics on hand today. Could I give a human probiotic capsule to her this evening, it is the regular 4 million strength capsule. I have been feeding her 2 cloves of garlic a day for a while now and greens leaves (oak) daily. Just wNt her to be as healthy as can be while I gone. I never realized how you would worry about them when I leave because nothing will be done but feed and water until I get back.
Also maybe I shoul give her a B Complex shot this evening? And maybe more green leaves. She probably won't get green leaves while I'm gone.
Also I will get a temp this evening.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Definitely do daily B complex till you leave. Do daily vitamin C, at least 1000mg. Do Replamin daily. Not sure if the human probiotics will work but certainly won't hurt. If you can get Probios, then I would do that daily too.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Karen pretty much covered it all. As someone who seems to always have at least one "needy" goat, I know exactly how you feel. Methinks my goaaties are why I have grey hair!!!!!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If she is off feed then a dose of Banamine once a day for 3 days or until appetite returns can work wonders.

Is she currently anemic? Are you giving iron injections?

Is she running a fever?

It's so stressful when they get ill and more so when you have travel planned. Just in case, be sure you're farm sitter knows who to call for euthanasia and who to call for burial.

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karen pretty much covered it all. As someone who seems to always have at least one "needy" goat, I know exactly how you feel. Methinks my goaaties are why I have grey hair!!!!!
Yep, me too

Reactions: groovyoldlady

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely do daily B complex till you leave. Do daily vitamin C, at least 1000mg. Do Replamin daily. Not sure if the human probiotics will work but certainly won't hurt. If you can get Probios, then I would do that daily too.
Temp 103.3 degrees F, she ate a little this evening. I gave her gel probiotics, selenium and Vitamin E gel, and a dose of replamin and 1000 mg vitamin E chewable vitamins and 3 ml of B complex vitamin shot. Also a few green leaves this morning. I also check the temp on another goat that had slowed on eating and her temp was 101.9 which is a little low. I gave her also the probiotics and selenium & Vitamin E gel and 1000 mg of vitamin C chewable vitamins. They have grass knee deep in pasture, good grazing Bahia and Coastal Bermuda grass. They eat on it but you can't tell it. I feed a 10-12 ounces of goat pellets and Alfalfa pellets, half and half mixed, morning and evening. Am I over feeding?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If she is off feed then a dose of Banamine once a day for 3 days or until appetite returns can work wonders.

Is she currently anemic? Are you giving iron injections?

Is she running a fever?

It's so stressful when they get ill and more so when you have travel planned. Just in case, be sure you're farm sitter knows who to call for euthanasia and who to call for burial.
She eating again now. I gave a B Complex shot and 1000 mg of vitamin C chewable tablets, 5ml replamin, 5 ml probiotics, 5 ml selelium gel with vitamins E,, and garlic, flax seed meal, and crushed animal crackers in her feed. I'll feed green leaves in the morning again. Also I gave her a couple of VetRx. I forgot to add her temp was good, 103.3 f.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree with everything @ksalvagno and @SalteyLove have said. I also think you've done what you can to ensure her survival and you should enjoy your trip. Have a good time, you deserve it.

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I agree with everything @ksalvagno and @SalteyLove have said. I also think you've done what you can to ensure her survival and you should enjoy your trip. Have a good time, you deserve it.
I will give a b complex again this eve and follow thru with same as I done yesterday. Wednesday also the same. I think then maybe all will be good until I get back. I also have cydectin to give my new goats second worming Wednesday eve. They are the wild ones. One is getting better but the other one has not changed. I set up the worming schedule so it would be given by me thru all doses. The last dose will be the next day after I get back from vacation. Also to get vitamin C in them I crush it up and add to their garlic with animal crackers and flax seed added to their feed . They are looking better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts