Advice regarding coccidia - what now? - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kids-n-peeps, Aug 25, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    The two doelings we bought at the end of June unfortunately had some bad cases of coccidia and worms (trichostrongyles) when we got them (confirmed by fecal floats run by the state lab).

Initial treatment suggested by our local goat vet was Corid for the coccidia. The low dose he suggested didn't seem to tally with what I'd been reading, so I followed the dosing recommendations here. It did nothing (resistant here I suppose), so we switched to Sulmet 12.5% and used a syringe to give orally (dosed straight from the bottle following dosages listed here). We tried the five day treatment and it knocked it out in one doeling, but not entirely in the other. We treated the one for another five days and then her fecal came back clear. A week before leaving for vacation, I had another sample done (on all 3 of my girls) and the one who had the worst case had it again - a moderate load. This time we gave her Sulmet for 9 days and her fecal came back clear. Today I took samples in again (10 days since last sample came back clear) and this same doeling came up positive again with a moderate load!!

Feed is way up off the ground. Water is changed at least once a day and has never been soiled with berries. We've been changing their bedding frequently since this all began and up until a week ago, we were rotating them off pasture daily (so prior to a week ago, they were never on the same ground twice). With every dose of the Sulmet, she received Probios and a few times yogurt (when we had run out of Probios).

So . . . am I missing something in regard to prevention? My husband is a microbiologist and really doesn't want to add medicine to the water for prevention, but maybe we need to? Of course, first we have to knock this out again . . . but what to use now?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Advice regarding coccidia - what now?

Do they have a good mineral with copper in it? Keeping their copper levels up helps to keep their body able to resist certain things including cocci

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Locally we have only been able to find blocks; the ones we have do have copper in them as does the feed they get once a day, but I'm sure they need more. Liz had suggested Golden Blend Minerals, so I am ordering that at this moment. I should have done it weeks ago when she told me about it.

I think we still need to dose her with meds for another round, continue with Probios. I'm thinking to give the Sulmet another go-round since it does seem to be knocking it out initially. However, if anyone disagrees on the med choice or has any other thoughts, I'm open ears :)

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

No experince with cocci but I have heard that sulfa works much better than corrid.
    Good point Stacey about the minerals!
    You should be able to get them at your feed store or they can order them for you.
    You probably know not to get dual purpose minerals for sheep & goats as goats have extremely high copper needs which wont be in dual purpose.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I am by no means an expert and do not know near as much as some of the gals and guys on here....but I had this same thing happen this spring when I brought home 2 bucklings.......My vet had me do the Corid also and did not work, so he had me treat with Albon.....it worked somewhat, but like yours the numbers started coming up......so then my vet had me go buy a bag of Deccox from the feed store and top dress their grain with it, I feed my two guys out of two seperate dishes so I know how much they are getting......finally they are clear! I am still using the Decoxx and probably will until they are a year old.........but let me share with you, the Deccox came in a BIG bag labeled for cattle but was cheap and the directions as to how much were very frustrating trying to figure out a small amount for a 15lb kid.....so my vet had me bring the directions in and some Deccox and he did the figuring and measured it out for me.
    Hope this helps! Denise

One more thing......I have mine on Golden Blend and I really like them, I had switched and started using Sweetlix (I can get it here at the co-op, but changed back to Golden Blend because i think the boys do better on them.

6. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Thanks, Denise. We also feed our goats their pre-measured feed in separate bowls, so sprinkling the Deccoxx on her individual feed is definitely worth a try. I just want this girl healthy :)

I have to say I was really surprised she came back positive today for the coccidia. She finally looked to be gaining some weight and starting to grow. She has really been playing and frolicking more. My only clue was I saw a clumpy poo or two in the grass even though every time I see her go, it has been individual berries. Yes, we've definitely become poop-obsessed around here.

We did just start her on a hopefully final round of Sulmet, gave some Probios, and I've got the minerals coming. I'll buy some Deccoxx and start using that as soon as the Sulmet treatment ends. Keeping my fingers crossed . . .

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Your so welcome :) ! Believe me......I know how frustrating Cocci is......I was ready to throw my hands up. My guys look really good now, they both have very healthy shiny coats and at 7 months they now weigh 35lbs they are both Nigi's. Yes, I have become a professional poop watcher!

8. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania

A few years back I had major coccidia problems. I then started feeding Purina's Lamb chow, mixed with sheep/goat mix. The lamb chow is medicated to prevent coccidia. It has been great with controlling it. It would be similar to top dressing with Decox, but I don't have to do the extra step. This year because it's been so wet, I've had a few young ones start to show symptoms of coccidia though, so I individually squirt the corid in their mouths. Make sure you're using the proper dosage - my vet says 1 cc/5 pounds for goats for 7 days. I had one goat that I was treating and shortly afterwards, he started to get thin again, so I immediately started the corid again. Purina also makes Sulfa-nox which is another alternative for treatment. But the Lamb Chow has helped a lot in controlling outbreaks in the herd.

9. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

I've got the Golden Blend Minerals ordered and hopefully here soon :)

I couldn't find the Deccox at Tractor Supply, so I am headed out to another farm store this afternoon. If I can't find that, I'll look into the medicated lamb feed/chow.

Question for cdtrum . . . I saw Deccox online and I, too, will probably be at a loss to figure out the dosing on it. Do you recall the amount your sprinkled on your kids' feed since they were similar in size to my doeling at that time. My doeling is probably only 20 pounds, but I'll get a more accurate weight this evening.

Thanks.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

As a top dress for feed ration, I'm not sure of the doseage, but my vet suggested adding 1 pound of Deccox to 25 pounds minerals and giving freechoice....not reccomended for does producing milk for human consumption though.

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

My vet took a small brown plastic pill bottle and said give a full one to each goat......I'll get a bottle full next time I go out to the barn and measure it out and let you know the exact amount.......I split my guys dosage 2x's a day, half in the a.m. and the other half in the p.m.

I did fecals on my 1yr olds this week and had to worm them for barber poles and their cocci numbers are up also (it has been very rainy, hot and humid here past 2wks) sooooo I am treating them now for cocci before it gets out of control and I plan on putting them on the Deccox when finished with treatments. I fecaled my 2 little guys and they are clean as can be for both worms and cocci, of course they are still getting the Deccox.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Sorry I didn't back to you last night.....I measured the deccox out this morning and it measured out to be approx. 1 & 1/2 table sp. a day for each 20lb. goat.......my guys are at 35lbs. now, so I just give a little extra and it is working....their fecals are clear and I am a fecal nut since learning how......I fecal every week to keep check on it.
    Hope this helps and your little girl is better soon, Denise

13. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

cdtrum- Thanks for that measurement!

At our second area farm store, the owner told me I can't buy Deccox on its own. I was pretty sure he was wrong since I thought that I could buy it online in an 8lb bag made by Manna Pro. My husband decided to pick up a bag of medicated goat feed with Monensin/Rumensin in it. After getting home, though, I read online that it can be dangerous to dogs, so I am a little nervous about using it esp. if Deccox/Decoquinate is considered safer. The farm store also had another medicated goat feed with decoquinate which I tried to convince my husband to buy, but the store owner told him the Monensin was more effective for coccidia :shrug: :?

So . . . we did not open the bag and I'm heading to the co-op today to see if they have straight Deccox as that still sounds like the best option b/c I can control the dosing.

I just desperately want to do the right thing, to nip this in the bud and keep it under control.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Deccox comes premixed in a cornmeal base, so it is not "straight" Deccox..... is there a large animal vet in your area that you may be able to purchase a pound from?

15. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Update . . .

Okay, so the good news is that of our two five month old does, the one has remained clear of coccidia for weeks now - Yeah! The second doeling who has bounced back and forth since we got her just tested clear today, too. She's started eating some Blue Seal Medicated Goat Feed (has Deccox in it), so I am hoping that will help keep the coccidia at bay. Also, everyone now has access to the Golden Blend Minerals, and I daresay that I already see a difference in the one's coat . . . much shinier and softer :cool:

So, now the dilemma . . . our new buckling tested light for coccidia. He showed no symptoms, but I had a fecal float done anyway. He's also been eating some of the medicated feed, but, of course, that is preventative.

So do we start Sulmet with him, but do a 5 day round since his is light?

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to hear about the girls :clap:

as to the buck -- Sulmet is for 5 days so what is the other option you were talkign about?

17. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Our last round of Sulmet on our doeling, we were advised to do a 9 day round. So I was thinking since his is light, 5 days would be enough.

Also, a cocci remedy was posted on here using ginger, cloves, cinammon, and slippery elm powder . . . with his load being light, I wondered if something like this might be easier on his system . . . but I wasn't sure if a lot of people had tried it and found it to be effective.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use Sulmet for 5 days with good results -- dont know about the other remedy --- could work, just havent used it

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd go with the sumlet for 5days like Stacey suggested, since you already have cocci on the grounds......you don't want to mess around with that stuff....I would nip it before the bucklings case managed to get worse.

So glad the girls are doing well :clap: !

20. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    We have kept him in an area where goats have not been on our property and have moved him every other day to make sure he is always in a "clean" area. It's just terribly frustrating. I read in books that it is often from "dirty" conditions, but the conditions here are far from it . . . still, reading that makes me feel like a bad goat owner :shrug: I know I have still have a lot to learn, but at least this go round I had him checked quickly so we could nip anything in the bud, already had him on the the medicated pellets & loose minerals. And I did find a local farm store/mill that will sell me in small amounts the Deccox powder/crumble. I had already bought the pellets and he is eating them well, but at least I know where to go should this be a problem in the future. But, yes, I was so happy today to see the girls' results!! That's the silver lining.