Afraid I may have to use the Jaws of life or at least a crow bar..

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by W Dean, Sep 23, 2020.

1. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    For about 5 years now I have been making due with my Yanmar Tractor, it’s about 20 HP and can do some things we need it to do. But largely it gets stuck easily has difficulty running a 4 foot Brush hog etc.

so I am afraid we need to upgrade to a larger tractor. We were thinking between a 40 to 70 HP diesel. Largely it would be great if I could run my Brush Hog at riding lawnmower speeds, that would be a vast improvement. Also it would be nice if I could use the back blade to clean out drainage areas, and it would be awesome if it could nudge a round bale up onto a pallet. When we get hay I usually will roll it out of the truck and push it up the driveway onto a pallet which is under a shelter to keep it dry.

what I am wondering is if 4 wheel drive would allow me to go with the lower end of the horsepower range? Or would we be better off going with 2 wheel drive at the upper end of the range?

We are going to try to find a used one, but around here they bring almost as much as a new one.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd want 4 wheel but I'm terrible at maneuvering things out of sticky situations.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    4 wheel drives are better. ;)

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  4. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I bought a used 2 WD Kubota (L2650)15 years ago. I learned the hard way that I can't take it on the back 2 acres (swampy drainage to the river) from Mid December until May-ish. I make do, able to bush hog, use grater box, bale spear...I wish I gotten a front end loader. The 2 WD was so much less to buy. One of my kids has a 4WD jeep that I have used to pull the tractor out when I did stick it in the mud. I have been on the verge of going to a 4WD truck for myself, too. The price difference sends me back to 2 WD every time...I may be the only person in South Louisiana with out a 4WD.

5. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Yeah mine is light on the front end and has turf tires. So there is that, looked at Ag tires but cost would be about $1 k for 4 wheels and tires. So I just can not justify spending that amount of money to still get stuck.

I guess the good thing is mine is like 324 hours on it and I could sell it for more than I paid for it.

seems like 4wd and over 38 HP may be the way to go.

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    4wd is worth the money the very first time you need it. Also... for our small tractor we have a 55 gallon barrel that is filled with concrete. There was the holder thinger put into it when the cement was poured in. It works great for a counter weight.

alwaystj9 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a 4010 Mahindra 4 wheel drive tractor. It's 40 horse- with a front end loader bucket, quick release and a manure fork. Oh, and a round bale spear. (the manure fork is a great tool when cleaning the barn.) We put the beetjuice instead of calcium chloride in the rear tires for weight. I can do just about anything with that tractor. It also has a nice brush hog.

You can find them pretty reasonable as people like to trade up horsepower. Then find out that they didn't really need all those horses to just brushhog!

alwaystj9 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Does your spear go on the loader or the 3 point? I am wondering if I could get by with a +-35 hp? My problem is I really do not want to spend $35k on a new tractor to get the the larger HP. So I kind of end up not doing anything and getting by with what I have.

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I bought a Mahinda 1538 Shuttle. I love it. It came as a package with trailer, front bucket, 3 point hay spike, box blade, brush hog, and cover. I haven't got.it stuck yet. I took out old building with it..pulled trees down. Put in fence posts,moved round bales, moved small buildings onto.trailer. I really like her. She is diesel. All of it was under 25k.

alwaystj9 and toth boer goats like this.
  10. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Hydro static or Manual, I am thinking I would rather put it in gear and go versus messing with a pedal.

11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hydro! It works great..once you get use to it. Lol lol.

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have the gears, but hydrostatic would be so much easier in high clutch areas, like cleaning the barn. My hip and leg get so tired.

My entire setup was under $25 grand. 5 or 7 (can't remember) years to pay it off. I made double payments. (Was working somewhat regular off the farm previous, had a little savings).

13. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

I tired the whole foot pedal thing, I am going to stay old school.

I have it narrowed down to a 2017 Kubota with less than 100 hours on it. Or a new Mahindra. Based on the 53 Hp and the quick disconnect loader I may go with the Kubota.

It still has a warranty and it seems to be a fair price.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cool! Post photos when you get it!