The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here and I didn't really want it to be about this. Grandkids were having their first goat babies. Grandma(me) why was telling the kids and grandkids what to do. Mama had two babies and it looked like there was another bubble and she continued to have contractions and I guess I call it scream so I thought there was another one. She was huge. So I told my son he'd have to go after it. But it was just a bubble from the afterbirth like you see sometimes, a Red bubble. And the process of checking to see if there was another goat stuck up there they pulled out pieces of the afterbirth. How serious is this, mama seems to be doing fine wonderful mother taking care of her babies and doesn't seem to be in any sort of distress. She is not hemorrhaging by any means but what is on the back of her bottom is bright red. What to do.
0303211900b-1.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First post here and I didn't really want it to be about this. Grandkids were having their first goat babies. Grandma(me) why was telling the kids and grandkids what to do. Mama had two babies and it looked like there was another bubble and she continued to have contractions and I guess I call it scream so I thought there was another one. She was huge. So I told my son he'd have to go after it. But it was just a bubble from the afterbirth like you see sometimes, a Red bubble. And the process of checking to see if there was another goat stuck up there they pulled out pieces of the afterbirth. How serious is this, mama seems to be doing fine wonderful mother taking care of her babies and doesn't seem to be in any sort of distress. She is not hemorrhaging by any means but what is on the back of her bottom is bright red. What to do. View attachment 200247

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently I should have chosen thumbnail. And I forgot to add we were facetiming when I was walking them through the birth process so I wasn't able to get a good look at the last "bubble". Then I went down to see the mama and two babies - it's an hour and a half drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. She seems fine but when he pulled his hand out he pulled on the afterbirth, pulled parts out and I understand that's a big no no!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sometimes if you try milking mamma and/or getting babies to eat it helps in the afterbirth process.

The act of stimulating the milk let down in the goat releases the goats natural oxytocin which helps the goats uterus contract. This contraction helps release the rest of the afterbirth and also helps the uterine muscles contract around the raw vessels inside the uterus that were connected to the placenta and helps stop any excessive bleeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts