The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we disbudded our 3 week bucklings and banded our 8 week old buckling. And boy are they all acting puny today!
Our first set of kids we disbudded the first week, no problems at all, the second set was born of course while we were out of town on Fathers Day and right before we went on vacation, hence why we are just now disbudding. The horn area is oozing and they are eating but not feeling well. On the banded one, he is eating but not as much, otherwise lays in a corner. Poor babies, all three are in pain. I do have some ban amine but wouldn't know how much to give 20 LB and 48 LB kids.
Really I just want to know if there is anything I can to to help them feel better and avoid any and all infections. They all had CDT before procedure, the older buck had his booster.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
The ones that were disbudded shouldn't be in pain. It sounds like you may need to burn them a little more. Did you pop the cap off then burn again? Bucks typically need to be burned longer than does and if the horns were good sized they would need even more burn time. Oozing generally means they were not burned long enough. You can give them some banamine to help with the pain. I banded a 4 month old Nubian buckling last night and he took it all in stride, a couple months ago I banded an Alpine buckling and he acted like it was killing him. You could give him some banamine too to help with the pain until it goes numb.

I would give the smaller ones 1/4 cc of banamine and the bigger kid 1/2 cc.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
If you just burned, I would wait. You can give them Banamine. It is 1cc per 100 lbs. 1/2 cc for 50 lbs, 1/4cc for 25 lbs, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts