The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 male goats that I rescued about 6 months ago. Ozzy had his horns removed before I rescued him, he is a buck. The other, Rupert, is a wether still has his horns in tact.

So far, we've had two incidences where they have been play fighting, and I've found Ozzy bleeding from his right horn which has continued to grow despite the removal. Where the other horn would've been, there's just a tiny stump which can't even be seen above his short hair and doesn't seem to have grown back whatsoever.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do about this? Although the more dominant of the two, Rupert (the one with both horns in tact) isn't particularly aggressive or problematic, it just seems inevitable that every so often Ozzy's 1 horn will get knocked out of place again and he'll be in pain. It seems quite risky to me but I can't think of a solution.

I'm not willing to remove Rupert's horns, I think it's far too dangerous and cruel, especially since he's pretty well-behaved for a male goat. Are there any solutions you can think of? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I would probably band the weakened horn since this will likely continue to be a problem. He won't like it, but at this point it's half gone anyway. It will also help you have him wethered. Testosterone boosts horn growth enormously.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Unfortunately boys will be boys and goats will be goats. Scurs are typically much weaker than real horns and will continue to break. If it is causing major problems you can try to have Ozzy's scurs removed and they will hopefully heal smoother without anything to break off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts