After kidding...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by logansmommy7, Feb 5, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So I have a few months to go, but it's snowing like the dickens and what else do I have to do but sit around and think about goats. So, I'm planning my kidding pen, inside my stall where the goats currently stay at night. How long do they have to be separate? I have two does and two wethers. I had just read on a post that bucks will kill babies, ut the others? Will they be okay with the babies after a bit of time with just mama goat?

Just thinking ahead, and thanks for the info in advance! :ponder:

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I usually keep mom & babies in the kidding pen til the kids are 5 to 7 days old. That gives them plenty of bonding time & time for the kids to gain plenty of strength so they will be able to run from any bullies when they are introduced back into the herd. I don't think you'll have any problems with the wethers.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah 5-7 days is what I do as well.

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Cool...good to know. We have such a small herd, I think they should be fine. Thanks guys!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What I do is... at 3 days of bonding... I let the mom's out only....and leave the babies in... so mom ...can get a break.. and move around.... for a couple of hours.... Of course ...you have to fight to get them to go out ....because they want the babies to be with them .....they manage to be alright ...for a short while away.... I don't recommend doing this... if the doe hasn't bonded with her babies though... :wink: :greengrin:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I reintroduce between 3-7 days. 3-4 days for my "pro" moms and 5-7 days for the ditzy mommas! LOL