After Shearing

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by artzkat, Mar 12, 2009.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I sheared my Pygoras early this year , because it turned quite warm and a couple were blowing their coats. Also I want to shear the A coats again in late summer.

So, of course, 2 days after, the temp dipped and I had shivery goats. I put coats on them and it has been about a week now. Where I live the temperature is still down to 30's at night and 40-50 in day time.
    How quickly do angora type goats regrow hair? I am thinking about an inch a month???
    I am hoping that they will have enough regrowth about 10 days after shearing to take off the coats...does this sound reasonable?

It is such a rodeo getting the coats on and off, that once is enough for all of us!

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    To shear or not to shear..... I've been bouncing that question around in my head for a month 'cause all of mine started blowing their fleece to a certain extent about 3 weeks ago. I am sure glad I waited, cause 2 days ago we got another 8 inches of snow & it was 28 below zero this morning. We try to shear the last weekend in March and the first weekend in October.

Within 2 weeks of shearing in your temps they should be just fine w/o a coat to help. Their fleece will actually grow faster when it's still on the chilly side.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was going to say the same as MissMM. I would give them about two weeks. Keep checking them and see.
    I do not sheer but I have combed most my goats out. Some of them seem to go totally bald after they lose their fiber, so I know what you mean about the cold weather. I bought some foal coats to put on them if it gets to cold.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Lori, do you weigh the fiber as it comes off the goat? How many times do you comb the goat to get all the cashmere off?

I just combed Jada, now she had alot of loose stuff starting to fall off, she's black. I think I got all the loose and alot of cashmere from her sides about halfway back to her hinny :roll: She still has alot on her front half, not as easy to comb it out, so I'll go back and comb her again in a couple days. I got about 5 ounces. It's almost a full grocery bag (plastic).

I also combed Margie (freaky brat), she's a light creamy beige (lol), it came off in handfuls! :love: Got 7 ounces, but it's a full bag...stuffed full and poking out the top! She still has alot more too.

Now, Hallie (chamoisee) and Charlotte (reddish/beige), weren't turning loose any fiber to speak of...I'll try them again in a few days.

I am in the midst of "herd health day", going to take me a few of these as everyone has been neglected a little :doh: so I'll get to the "teenagers" tomorrow.

So, that's what I'm doing today! Miss MM have you sheared yet? Artzkat, how are your goats doing? I sold my Pygora's, I couldn't force myself to shear as early as I thought necessary to get decent fiber, but, I loved it and the volume was huge compared to the cashmere.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di, I do not know how much I get of them until I am totally done and I weigh them all ,for my daughters record book.
    I am about totally done combing now. Only a couple more that do not want to let go of their fiber.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My A's and B's are getting sheared this Saturday (5 of them). I've got 2 out of 3 of my C's brushed out... what a pain in the @@@. Got at least 2 grocery bags full of fleece out of Chance, but don't know how much of that is good vs. guard hair.

I'm thinking any future C's born in the herd are the first to get sold. I'm also going to hold firm to a schedule of shearing the last weekend in March and the first weekend in October. I'll blanket them if necessary, but I totally fubarred the fleece for this spring by waiting too long.

Attached Files:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    MissMM , I LOVE combing out my goats. That is kind of my time to spoil them all by themselves. It is just like time to re bond. I have thought of trying to sheer the goats, but the cost to get the fiber processed is way more expensive.
    They are so naked, but cute.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Chance (the goat in the previous pics) is soooo pissed at me. He wouldn't come w/in arm's length of me this morning or tonight, no matter what kind of treat I had in my hand.

Please tell me of an easier way to comb out these kids. I use an undercoat "rake" with swivelling teeth. It seems like their fleece just doesn't "let loose" that easily. It doesn't "pluck" out like I read people talking like it should.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Don't use the comb that the teeth move, that makes it hard and they cause the fiber to get tangled up. If it does not come off very easy, then it is not ready. When it is ready, you will see what looks like little puffs of fiber sticking out, and coming off. I think you are trying to hard. Wait it out, the more you pull and tug, the more you will damage the fiber. They will comb out like a dog loosing their coat.

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks for the tips. What do you do when the fiber starts to matt around the chest and be-hind then starts to kind of roll off? Can I trim that crappy stuff off then wait for the rest to release easier? I just really can't seem to get my timing right with these C's. It either blows off in just a day or two and is gone in the breeze (like Ophelia's fiber usually does) before I have a chance to get to it, or it isn't ready to "release."

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I never keep that neck fiber. it is shorted then the rest and is not the best fiber so for me it goes on the ground. :shrug:

12. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks for the insight everyone - I've been have the same trials and tribulations! Not to mention that we still have 4 feet of snow and winter like weather (not so cold, around 20F). Of course, they are about to blow and we are busy and gone and trying to brush goats too! They've only just started really so we have a ways to go...

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, planning on combing my cashmere wethers out...but cant decide when.

so should i dispose of the neck hair and butt, keep the middle stuff or what?

:) thanks

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I agree that the neck, butt and underbelly hair is pretty much crap & gets thrown away. the fleece around the barrel / sides of the goat is the best part.

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Love the pic! He looks like a good fiber producer! This is why I didn't keep my Pygora's, and just went with the Cashmere goats. I couldn't shear them as early as they needed it (to keep the fiber good), and by the time I thought they could "do without it" the fiber was starting to matt. :GAAH: But, I loved the fiber and the quantity was great...so I was really sad. You have to be "on the ball" to get it right with them. My life is too crazy right now.

I put the "bad stuff" outside in sheltered "nooks and crannies" and the birds and squirrels take it for their nests! I've actually seen the birds out there picking through it!