The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boer doe kidded today, two girls, very quickly. Soon the afterbirth came, a large portion broke loose, but she still has some coming out and hanging down in a long thin string. It's been two hours now and seems to be stretching almost to the ground. She is in happy spirits. Nursing her kids, eating, drinking, and resting. She has been given calcium and nutra drench soon after giving birth. I'm at a loss worrying about this. She is not pushing. I tried to bump her but didn't feel anything, please help.

· Registered
8,603 Posts
I agree. Wouldn't hurt to give her some antibiotics like Pen G (I think) to prevent infection since the afterbirth didn't come out right away.

· Registered
8,603 Posts
I can always tie a rag to it to give it some weight.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked her and gently tugged at it( didnt pull just checked to see if it would give) it didn't. Wasn't mucus, seemed to be skin. It's a cream clear color but the end hanging near ground does have color like the afterbirth. I'm afraid the afterbirth I found( almost shovel full) was torn off.

· Premium Member
14,457 Posts
She is fine. No need for any antibiotics.
The long string does it have little yellow suction cup like tissue on it? Sorry never did learn the term for it.
And pics please as soon as you are able. Congrats!

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Soon the afterbirth came, a large portion broke loose, but she still has some coming out and hanging down in a long thin string.
It can take up to 24 hours to deliver the afterbirth. Don't pull on it, if it becomes a problem just fold it up on itself and tie it. She can have discharge for several weeks following birth, but unless you start smelling a foul odor, she goes off feed or starts laying around looking off, all is well.

· Registered
8,603 Posts
I wouldn't even consider antibiotics until the 24 hour mark is up, and even then only if there was a foul odor coming from her back side.
I suggested antibiotics because I am paranoid and would be afraid of infection if it doesn't come out right away :eek: :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.