The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Yet another question..what age and dosages for Di-Methox 40% for prevention? The kids are showing no signs of cocci but since I drylot, I figured I had better do some prevention doses. They are 7 weeks old today and the other two are 7 weeks on Saturday.

Also, the Mom's just got dewormed with Valbazen. Should the amount in the milk help them if there are any worms/parasites?

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi everyone,
Yet another question..what age and dosages for Di-Methox 40% for prevention? The kids are showing no signs of cocci but since I drylot, I figured I had better do some prevention doses. They are 7 weeks old today and the other two are 7 weeks on Saturday.

Also, the Mom's just got dewormed with Valbazen. Should the amount in the milk help them if there are any worms/parasites?

Thanks again! :)
Dimethox 40% dosage:

1cc per 5 lbs. of goat on day one.

1cc per 10 lbs. of goat on days 2-6.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm not sure about the dimethox dose,but you need to worm the kids individualy ,valbazen will work for them too

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not sure about the dimethox dose,but you need to worm the kids individualy ,valbazen will work for them too
Valbazen is for barberpole and liver flukes. Do not give to a pregnant goat, can cause abortion.

40% dimethox 6 day regimen gets the coccidia.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Until someone can tell me why 12.5% is the same as 40%, I will stick with a dose of 1cc/16 lbs for the 40% Di-Methox injectable given PO. This dose cures scours before 48 hrs in kids at my farm. I assume it was coccidia if it works. I understand prevention is a popular way to go for many and that's cool, but I don't treat well kids unless I have two or more scouring at the same time.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Until someone can tell me why 12.5% is the same as 40%, I will stick with a dose of 1cc/16 lbs for the 40% Di-Methox injectable given PO. This dose cures scours before 48 hrs in kids at my farm. I assume it was coccidia if it works. I understand prevention is a popular way to go for many and that's cool, but I don't treat well kids unless I have two or more scouring at the same time.
Thanks for your opinion, it does seem to make sense about the dosing. I am doing prevention because I had a young alpine doeling that never scoured at allbut just didn't grow.I treated her with 3 different worm meds, but nothing helped.She was severely stunted because I never treated her for cocci :( As soon as I did, she lost her "bloated" look,and looked much better but the damage was done. I felt absolutely HORRIBLE and have to live with knowing it was that simple to treat, and she would have grown fine :( I do not want to take that chance again.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Thanks for your opinion, it does seem to make sense about the dosing. I am doing prevention because I had a young alpine doeling that never scoured at allbut just didn't grow.I treated her with 3 different worm meds, but nothing helped.She was severely stunted because I never treated her for cocci :( As soon as I did, she lost her "bloated" look,and looked much better but the damage was done. I felt absolutely HORRIBLE and have to live with knowing it was that simple to treat, and she would have grown fine :( I do not want to take that chance again.
I should probably have mentioned... I feed a pelleted goat grower that contains Rumensin. So the kids that are old enough to be eating enough are being preventively treated for cocci. That is another option for prevention for anybody that doesn't involve sulfa drugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts