The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just wondering if it's too late to castrate a 14week old Nigi x buckling with bands?

Thanks,

Froggy

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
It's fine, he's just about right really. I always wait until 9 to 12 weeks on full sized kids.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey all,

I was just wondering if it's too late to castrate a 14week old Nigi x buckling with bands?

Thanks,

Froggy
My vet says up to 5 months. I did a 4 month old as I was going to keep him a buck then decided not to. Takes a little longer to fall off

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
I did 2 Saanen bucks at 3 years of age with surgical tubing and a California bander. Worked great. The only difference there was that we cut the package off, below the band, a week after the banding. One of those boys is my Jeter, still here at 13.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did 2 Saanen bucks at 3 years of age with surgical tubing and a California bander. Worked great. The only difference there was that we cut the package off, below the band, a week after the banding. One of those boys is my Jeter, still here at 13.
I am wanting to band my 6 year old sannan. He was given to me and I dont need him as a buck but hes the best weed eater! The feed store has a surgical tubing type banded. Wondering why the bands wouldnt work as they band calves and arnt theres the size of an adult goat?

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
If you have the big calf bander it will work fine. As long as you can get the package threw the band it's all good. These 2 bucks were the size of a softball. They weren't going through a band.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have the big calf bander it will work fine. As long as you can get the package threw the band it's all good. These 2 bucks were the size of a softball. They weren't going through a band.
Thats what I thought. The calf bander stretches it way bigger. His are pretty big guess it doesnt hurt to try

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goathiker -- I have a 1 year old buck that I would like to band, so thank you for posting this solution.

Did you give yours any pain meds before/after? Does it take any longer because they are older?

Also, my other problem is that this guy has a huge set of horns (he was given to me when he was several months old), and he is difficult to deal with. I can get a couple of strong guys to hold him down while we do the initial banding, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to swab it with iodine everyday to keep it clean. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
One way to do it is...Put on the band, let the testes die, as soon as you see noticeable shrinking and everything is cold cut the testes off about an 1/2 below the band. This is the way we did my big bucks and it worked well. They were out hiking with me as soon as the package was cut off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts