age at first shearing? (angoras)

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by sgian, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    At what age is the first shearing done? This is our first time shearing and we have 4 kids under 2 months old.

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    conventionally it is six months. mohair grows an inch a month and the most profit is gained for fleece of six inches.

under 2 mths those babies are only just going to be coming into their mohair, and its certainly not going to be long enough to get any sort of commercial value out of it. If you can, I would wait until they are older to shear them.

But then again, I have also been in the position where I just shear them and throw away the fleece to get them lined up with the other goats in a regular shearing pattern.

This is one of the reasons why it is so important to have a defined kidding season with fibre animals.

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I agree with keren. shearing every 6 months is very iimportant for the quality of the fleece to be harvested. Less than 6 months and it usually isn't quite long enough to spin. Too much over 6 months and you risk matting, felting and a whole lot more VM in the fleece to get rid of. Most fiber breeders will breed kids to be born in March or September and shear in the same months.

Having said that, I wasn't able to shear last fall do to family crisis stuff as well as an incredibly early and very cold onset of winter. I'm going to be lucky to get half the usable fleece that I should have gotten, but it's my own fault. At least now I've got the number of someone willing to shear for me if I find myself overwhelmed with other stuff so I don't miss the boat again.