The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first set of kids born on the farm. Many of the breeders I follow sell their bottle kids at 2-3 weeks old so I figured I’d do the same. I have a buyer who will be getting them next week. They will be around 4 weeks old. I’m researching tattooing and seeing that most info I can find, they are tattooing at 8 weeks on the Nigerians because their ears are so tiny. So my question is, can I tattoo at 3.5 weeks on a Nigerian? If not how do I sell them as registered?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I have my first set of kids born on the farm. Many of the breeders I follow sell their bottle kids at 2-3 weeks old so I figured I'd do the same. I have a buyer who will be getting them next week. They will be around 4 weeks old. I'm researching tattooing and seeing that most info I can find, they are tattooing at 8 weeks on the Nigerians because their ears are so tiny. So my question is, can I tattoo at 3.5 weeks on a Nigerian? If not how do I sell them as registered?
Yes you can tattoo them now. You jist need make sure not to hit the veins in the ear.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like to wait until at least 8 weeks. I like to make sure they've had their CD/T shot and booster before I tattoo them. It can be done sooner but their ears are so tiny, and I feel better if they have the tetanus protection. Technically they are supposed to be tattooed before their papers are filled out, but many breeders just fill out what the tattoo SHOULD be and let the buyer do the actual tattooing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts