Age groups?

Discussion in '4H/FFA Corner' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 23, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What are the most typical age groups goats are shown in?
    Is it 0-6 6-12months?
    Just trying to figure this out because my kids plan on showing percentage boer does and may possibly have a show in early June. Their does are a little less than 2 months apart, so I am not sure if they'd be in the same class or showing in different classes... - one would be 6 months, the other would be 4 months.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    At our fair the Boers are shown in these classes:
    Percentage Classes and Fullblood classes
    0-3 months
    3-6 months
    6-12months
    12-18 months
    18-24 months
    24-36 months
    36+ months

4. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Here, they are shown by weight classes.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    The wethers are shown in weight classes here, the classes i listed were does only..

6. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Ours has market doe classes and replacement doe classes. One doe cant be shown in both catagories. They do them all by weight. But that is in middle Tn, I dont know about anywhere else.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much for the info! It definitely gives me an idea as to how they would show. I'll see if I can get the county 4-H leader to look into it as I want to figure out which show my kids should aim at. This is a trial/error since we know nothing about showing, but my son has been working with his doeling trying to get her leash trained. She's so stubborn, hehe!!!!

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Your welcome! With 4-h (around here anyway) its always trial and error as you learn and people are typically understanding in the beginning. I know exactly what you mean about stubborn little things lol

9. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    We don't have to many doe shows here but when we do they are divided by age just like the chart posted. Wethers of course have weight classes and does can be entered in them too but genrally don't place as well.