Age of goats.....for beginners???

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Willow's Meadow, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I read somewhere that people that have never owned goats before and are new to goats shouldn't get baby goats and that they should get adult goats. But then I read that you shouldn't buy a kid under 2 months old. So for new goat owners is it okay to buy a two month old goat or should you buy an older goat??? I looked on some of the breeders websites around here and I couldn't find any adult goats for sale.....all of the breeders were selling kids. So is it okay to buy 2 month old goats if you are new to goats???

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well its all depends on what you are looking for and plan to do with your goats.

I think that purchasing kids can be very helpful because you get to bond with the goats and then you also have time to learn via experience before you breed (if thats your desire) and go through a kidding experience.

I also suggest you go to farms and look at their set ups and ask to be notified when a doe is kidding so you can be there to watch and learn.

You may see that there are no adults for sale right now becasue most people are waiting for their does to kid. Once they kid many people will sell off their first fresheners or even some older does as they see what the younger does look like and their prospects for the show ring.

Buying an adult is also a fine idea if you are looking for milk and want to learn that aspect of raising goats before you go through learning the whole breeding, kidding and kid rearing. If you purchase a dairy goat (as it seems you are interested in doing) you will need to learn how to milk -- this I also suggest you watch and practice at the breeders house You will get tips and ideas on how to milk.

Buying adults in milk especially means you need to be more prepared with a milkign stand and area to milk in as well as larger shelter and hay storage (adults go through more hay then say a small kid).

All things to think about as you decide how you want to proceed

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i think for someone who as zero experience with goats would be best to get kids. 2 months is a good age. then you get to play with the kid and all while it is little and cute. and you have a chance of training it a certian way that works for you. if you are in it for milk i still suggest this. but get LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of experience first!!!! because your first freshener is not likely to act like a friends star milker who's been doing the milking routine for years. and if you are in it for meat... get doelings and you can get attached to them but you may not stay in it for meat once you see the kids. because they are adorable and its hard not to bond, hard to look at that cute little furball jumping around and be able to end its life when the time comes. some people cant even sell the kids if they think they will end up on the table.
    and dont jump in head first. because alot of times you bite off more then you can chew and you end up selling out. which is very unfortunate. and make sure you have proper tools and fence and barn. i think the biggest problem people get into with goats is inadequate fencing. sometimes you need fencing that you think would keep deer in for some goats because the way they were raised. another reason i would go for the kids.
    just my 2 cents! good luck!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    great info ohiogoatgirl :thumb:

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    why thank you. :D i love sharing knowledge with others. especially if it might make for a better goat experience because too many people have bad experiences with goats.