age to stop breeding nigerian dwarf doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by daisymay, Oct 24, 2020.

1. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    i had a thread about this doe not getting pregnant for awhile. she kidded this summer with twins.
    only way you can tell she is older is by her face. she is a nice large doe who has a final score of 90 and has her SG. she loves being a mom. she is the boss of the herd without even trying to. everyone follows her.
    my question is should i try one more time to get kids out of her>? she would kid as a 10 year old. Her dam is still alive and so is her sire. so seems like she has the genes to live a bit longer then some goats.
    I did end up keeping her buckling and planning on using him on a couple does this year if the does agree to it. which so far is a no go. (hes not very stinky)

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

As long as they are healthy, kid normally and weight is fine. There isn't a magic age to stop breeding. There are goats that kid well into their teens.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You know your goat best. If you feel she can handle it, go for it!

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    How did she do her last pregnancy? How was she afterwards? Did you milk her or let her raise her kid? Does she keep her body condition or does she get really thin while being milked or nursed? If all the things add up to her being in good to great condition without a lot of extra work, then breeding shouldn't hurt her.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  6. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    well, i didnt know she was actually for sure pregnant until the last month or so. she was in and out of the buck pen for more then a year. and she is large.
    she did need some grain for a month after kidding but wasnt a skeleton by any means.
    for now she stays away from the buck pen when in heat so not sure if she will even want to be bred. but wanted to make sure it was okay given her age if she changes her mind.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    There’s nothing wrong with breeding her as long as she’s in good shape. Many does can kid in their teens. If she starts to have any kidding issues due to age, then consider retiring her.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California